Skip to main content

Updated information for the 2021 tax year

The federal government offers two tuition tax credit programs, American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning, to help pay for higher education costs.

The American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit are tax credits that may be available to you if you pay higher education costs. A tax credit reduces the amount of income tax you may have to pay. Unlike a deduction, which reduces the amount of income subject to tax, a credit directly reduces the tax itself.

For additional information about the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, consult your tax adviser or request IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education, online or by contacting the IRS at 800-829-1040.

JCCC will not provide tax advice.

To ensure your payment is credited to the tax year of your choice, please make your payment online in the appropriate year. 

When the College is closed, payments received in the mail will be credited after the college reopens; postmarks will not be considered.

  • Log in to MyFinances with your MyJCCC username and password.
  • Under the Statements section, click on 1098-T Statement, then click the View button next to the year needed.
  • You can also retrieve your form by logging into MyJCCC. Click on MyRecords tab, then click 1098-T Tax Notification and enter the tax year.

The 1098-T form is best viewed through Internet Explorer. If you are using Firefox, Chrome, or Safari, the default PDF viewer is often not compatible with the 1098-T format. You will need to change your browser plugin settings to use Adobe Reader instead, or follow on-screen prompts to use Adobe or alternate viewer to display the document.

Contact the Bursar's office at 913-469-2567 with any questions.

The information on Form 1098-T will help you determine if you, or your parents (if you're a dependent student) may be eligible to take the American Opportunity Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit to reduce federal income tax.

The College will need your (the student's) correct Social Security number (SSN) and current tax address. To update your tax information, please complete Form W-9.

You can download a Form W-9 (PDF); copies are also available in the Bursar’s office, located in SC 113.

The information collected is confidential and will only be used for tax reporting purposes.

Please do not email your completed W-9 form.

Please return Form W-9 in person to the Bursar’s Office (SC 113) or mail it to:

Johnson County Community College
12345 College Blvd.
SC 113, Box 3
Overland Park KS 66210-1299


Providing a change of address on Form W-9 does not update your student mailing and residency address. You will also need to complete a Change of Address Form and return it to Admissions for processing.

IRS Form 1098-T Tuition Statement is an informational statement required by the IRS to be issued by an eligible educational institution. This statement serves to alert students that they may be eligible for federal income tax education credits such as the American Opportunity Credit. IRS Publication 970 “Tax Benefits for Higher Education” as well as Chapter 35 of IRS Publication 17 provide additional information on these credits. The 1098-T, as designed and regulated by the IRS, may not contain all the information needed to claim an educational tax credit. The student may need to provide additional documents such as scheduled summaries or receipts.

Educational institutions used to be able to choose to report in Box 1 for amounts paid for qualified tuition and expenses or Box 2 for amounts charged for qualified tuition and expenses. Now, the IRS has mandated that all institutions MUST report in Box 1 for the 2018 tax year.

Spring 2021, Summer 2021 and Fall 2021

Read IRS Publication 970, contact the IRS at (800) 829-1040, or a tax advisor for information on how to determine if you qualify for one of the tax benefits.

Educational institutions are not required to provide a 1098-T for continuing education courses. A Form 1098-T is not required to claim the Lifetime Learning Credit, but talk to your tax preparer about the required documentation.

1098-T statements are available in My Finances and the MyRecords tab within MyJCCC. If you do not see it, email the Bursar's Office for instructions on how to obtain your 1098-T form. You MUST have a valid address on file or a 1098-T will not be generated.

If you need to update your address, log in to your MyJCCC account and go to My Records tab. Click on the Update Information tile, select the Personal Information tab, View Address(es) and Phone(s) and complete the Change of Address form.

The figure in Box 1, amounts paid for qualified tuition and related expenses, includes the total amount PAID in the calendar year for Spring 2021, Summer 2021 and Fall 2021.

Nonqualified expenses are defined as books/supplies, parking or library fees, childcare and other fees.

The figure in Box 5 scholarships or grants includes ALL scholarships, grants and payments made by a third party. These may include payments made for nonqualifying tuition and related expenses. Please seek the advice of a tax professional if you have questions about the variances between Box 1 and Box 5 of the form.

Email the Bursar's Office and explain what information you think is incorrect. Be sure to provide your student ID number in the body of your message. If Form 1098-T does contain incorrect information, a corrected form will be issued.

Only payments made in the calendar year will be used to calculate Box 1 of the form. Payments made in the Fall for the following Spring semester will not be used in the Box 1 calculation. You will need to use your receipts as documentation for those payments. lf you want payments for the Spring semester to be included in Box 1, then consider making your payment in January. lf you have further questions, please contact your tax advisor.

If there is a number in Box 4, then there was an adjustment to a prior year's payment. If you have questions on how to use this number, please contact your tax preparer. If you have questions on how the number is calculated, contact the Bursar office for clarification.