Apply for Financial Aid
Financial aid is monetary assistance for the cost of attending college that comes from a source other than the student and their family. Scholarships, grants, loans and the Federal Work-Study Program are all considered to be types of financial aid.
Need help with the FAFSA? Join us for our Free FAFSA completion event.
Before you are considered for financial aid at JCCC, you must complete the admission checklist and be an admitted student to JCCC. If you have not enrolled in at least a one-credit-hour class during the past two years at JCCC, you will need to complete an admission application.
Applying for Aid
1) Understand the JCCC Terms and Conditions for receiving Federal Student Aid.
2) Check the Financial Aid calendar for priority deadlines and other important dates.
3) Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
For the FAFSA, you'll need:
- Tax information from the previous tax year
- Records of untaxed income
- Information about current assets
- JCCC's Title IV school code, which is 008244
Need help with the FAFSA? This video shows you 7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA.
4) Apply for scholarships.
5) Follow up on your application.
- After you apply, the federal processor will send you a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR). If you do not receive your SAR within two to three weeks, contact them at 1-800-4-FEDAID.
- Once we receive your SAR, you will receive an email delivered to your stumail account from our office outlining your next steps.
- Log in to MyJCCC by entering your JCCC username and password.
- Select the "My Financial Aid" tab.
- Select "Requirements."
- Select the appropriate aid year then "Submit."
- To check your satisfactory academic progress status, follow steps 1-4 above, then select the "Academic Progress" tab.
- If you are selected for verification, there may be additional documentation required
If you've received financial aid at another college and you are transferring to JCCC, you'll need to do the following:
- If you are receiving financial aid at another school for the current aid year, cancel all financial aid from that previous school. The school must email the JCCC Financial Aid Office that your aid has been canceled.
- Contact the federal processor at 1-800-433-3243 or make a correction to your FAFSA online to add the JCCC Title IV school code, which is 008244. If you are adding the JCCC school code online, you must have your FSA ID. If you do not have your FSA ID, you may request it online.
- Check your student email often to verify what other items the JCCC Financial Aid Office needs for your file. You will be sent another email when you are awarded financial aid. You will need to accept the final awards online.
- Order official copies of transcripts from prior colleges attended and have them sent to JCCC Admissions, Box 41, 12345 College Boulevard, Overland Park, KS 66210.
- Notify your lender/loan holder -- if you have already borrowed student loans -- that you are transferring to JCCC.
- Contact the financial aid office at the school you are leaving to identify if anything else is required to close out your file.
Special Circumstances Appeal
If you or an immediate family member has unusual circumstances that affect your financial situation, you may qualify for a special circumstances appeal. Below are examples of these appeals.
- Loss of income due to employment changes, separation or divorce, death, or unusually high medical or dental expenses
- You’re a dependent student and your parent is attending college at least half time
Contact us if you have experienced one or more of the circumstances listed above to discuss your options.