Obtaining Your Tax Information for FAFSA

There are four ways to access your tax information that will provide us with an acceptable form of documentation.

  1. Through the FAFSA Online - The easiest way to submit your tax information to our office is by using the IRS Data Retrieval. However, this option may not be available to all tax filers. Refer to "How to Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on your FAFSA."
  2. Online Request – Go to IRS Get Transcript and select “Get Transcript by Mail.” Be sure to request a “Tax Return Transcript.”
  3. Paper Request Form – Mail or Fax the IRS Form 4506-T. Please mark item #6a on this form to request a “Tax Return Transcript.”
  4. By Telephone - Use the IRS Toll Free phone number 1-800-908-9946 and follow the voice prompts. Be sure to order a “Tax Return Transcript.”

When requesting tax documents from the IRS, the information you provide must match what is on record with IRS records. Otherwise, you will not be able to access your information or receive the appropriate documentation. Requests submitted by telephone online or with a 4506-T typically arrive in 5 to 10 days. If you amended your tax return or if you worked but did not file, there are requirements other than the tax return transcript that must be submitted.

Amended Return

You must submit a signed copy of your 1040x and a copy of your IRS tax return transcript. You may be required to have the documents stamped by the IRS.

Earned Wages but Tax Return not Required

You will be required to submit all W-2s received.

Filing Extension

  1. A copy of IRS Form 4868, “Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return,” that was filed with the IRS.
  2. A copy of the IRS’s approval of an extension beyond the automatic six-month extension if the individual requested an additional extension of the filing time.
  3. A copy of IRS Form W-2 for each source of employment income received for the tax year and, if self-employed, a signed statement certifying the amount of the individual’s Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) and the U.S. income tax to be paid.
  4. When your taxes are filed, you must then provide copies of your original tax return transcript.

Victims of IRS Identity Theft

Any individual who is a victim of IRS tax-related theft must provide:

  • A Tax Return DataBase View (TRDBV) transcript obtained from the IRS, or any other IRS tax transcript(s) that includes all of the income and tax information required to be verified; and
  • A statement signed and dated by the tax filer indicating that he or she was a victim of IRS tax-related identity theft and that the IRS is aware of the tax-related identity theft.

Contact the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 for assistance with IRS tax-related identity theft.