Skip to main content

To be considered for financial aid, you must demonstrate that you are both qualified to enroll in and have the ability to benefit from a post-secondary education.

Ability to Benefit

The ability to benefit requirement (ABLBNF) can be satisfied one of the following ways:

  • If you have graduated from a U.S. high school, have a copy of your OFFICIAL high school transcript sent to the JCCC Admissions Office. We are not able to accept U.S. transcripts that are faxed or hand carried.
  • If you have a GED, have a copy of your OFFICIAL GED transcript sent to our JCCC Admissions Office. This may not be faxed or hand carried.
  • If you have graduated from a foreign high school, bring in a copy of your ORIGINAL OFFICIAL high school transcript to our office.
  • If you have attended another college and satisfactorily earned 6 hours of college credit prior to the fall 2012 semester, have your official transcript sent to our Admissions Office. You must provide official transcripts from all prior colleges you have attended, regardless of hours completed. This includes transcripts from post-secondary institutions outside the U.S. We are not able to accept U.S. transcripts that are faxed or hand carried.
  • If you have an academic transcript showing that you have successfully completed at least a two-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s degree please contact our office.
  • If you did not graduate from high school or obtain a GED but you have enrolled or attended an eligible program at a Title IV institution prior to July 1, 2012, please come to our office and speak with a financial aid coordinator. There may be other options to satisfy this requirement in those cases.

Enrollment and Additional Requirements

  • You must be enrolled in a qualifying program that leads to an associate degree or an eligible vocational certificate major codes (PDF) or be in a transfer program that leads to a bachelor's degree at another institution.
  • The courses you take must be required for your degree program (courses in program of study for Financial Aid).
  • You must be attending a minimum of half-time number of credit hours a semester to be eligible for loans.
  • Repeat courses may reduce or eliminate awarded federal funds. Review our full Financial Aid Repeat Coursework Policy.
  • You can receive federal funds for up to 30 credit hours of remedial/developmental coursework.
  • You must meet satisfactory academic progress standards set by the post-secondary school you are or will be attending.
  • You must meet basic requirements as stipulated by the federal government.
  • If you are transferring to JCCC, refer to the Apply for Financial Aid page and see Transferring to JCCC.
  • If you already have a bachelor's degree, you won't be eligible for the Pell Grant, but you may be eligible for other types of federal aid.
  • If you are attending two schools at the same time you can only get financial aid at one school at a time during the same semester. If you plan to attend more than one school, you will need to contact us to discuss the possibility of a consortium agreement.

For more information regarding basic legal requirements such as citizenship, selective service status, loan defaults, incarceration or illegal drug conviction refer to the Federal Student Aid website section titled, "Basic Eligibility Criteria."

Authority to Evaluate the Eligibility Process

The Department of Education gives the director of the financial aid office at Johnson County Community College the authority to override this process at any time.