Service of Alcoholic Beverages Policy 217.06
Series: 200 Administrative Services
Section: Facilities and Property
Cross-Reference: Service of Alcoholic Beverages Operating Procedure 217.07
Applicability: This Policy applies to all students, employees and visitors.
The Kansas Liquor Control Act (K.S.A. Chapter 41, Articles 1 through 11, as amended), at K.S.A. 41-719(c), generally prohibits the consumption of alcoholic liquor on public property. However, pursuant to K.S.A. 41-719(h):
“The board of trustees of a community college may exempt from the provisions of subsection (c) specified property which is under the control of such board and which is not used for classroom instruction, where alcoholic liquor may be consumed in accordance with policies adopted by such board.”
Accordingly, the Board of Trustees of Johnson County Community College exempts certain College property from K.S.A. 41-719(c) as set forth in this Policy and the Service of Alcoholic Beverages Operating Procedure 217.06.
1. No person shall drink or consume alcoholic beverages on College property except in limited circumstances in accordance with this Policy, applicable Substance Abuse Policies, and the Student Code of Conduct, and only in the locations and in the manner set forth below:
- Regular operations at Café Tempo.
- Special events held in:
- Café Tempo during times it is not open for regular operations, including the Café Tempo patio;
- The area of the Nerman Museum adjacent to Café Tempo, the Atrium at the Nerman Museum and the Nerman Museum Terrace;
- The Capitol Federal Conference Center Room Number RC 101, the Regnier Center Conference Room Number RC 270 (the “Cube”), the Bodker Executive Room Number RC 170, and the Shull Foyer;
- The Carlsen Center lobby and performance halls, including the Recital Hall, Yardley Hall and Polsky Theatre, and their respective stages, staging areas, audience seating and front of house areas, and the Virginia Krebs Community Room;
- The Hospitality and Culinary Academy lobby (HCA 100), including the adjacent patio, the Wysong Family Culinary Theatre (HCA 145), and the Regnier Family Dining Room (HCA 150), and
- Olathe Health Education Center (OHEC) room number 102 and respective lobby areas.
- Such other locations as the Board of Trustees or the College President, acting as the Board's designee, may determine from time to time.
All Procedures, as directed by the College president, under this Policy shall be in full compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations, including the Kansas Liquor Control Act, City of Overland Park Municipal Code Chapter 5.20, and Olathe Municipal Code Title 7.
Revised: 02/17/2011, 10/20/2011, 07/18/2013