Naming College Facilities Operating Procedure 217.05
Series: 200 Administrative Services
Section: Facilities and Property
Cross-Reference: Naming College Facilities Policy 217.05
The following Procedures are established in accordance with the College’s Naming College Facilities Policy. These Procedures set forth the process for evaluating and recommending Facilities naming recognition to the Board for approval.
Eligibility Criteria for Naming Recognition:
A. Naming in Recognition of Financial Support
For naming recognition of financial gifts or other items of economic value, the donor will be expected to provide all or a substantial part of the cost of the Facility to be named. A “substantial part” shall be defined as a contribution that is more than half of the cost (51% or more), or a contribution which would not have been available from another source or was in some way integral to project completion or project excellence. When the financial support involves a pledge, the College generally requires at least 20% of the total pledge up front. In the event that a pledge is fully or partially unpaid, the College reserves the right to rescind the naming recognition and is under no obligation to return any of the partially paid funds.
B. Naming in Recognition of Distinguished Service
For naming recognition to honor extraordinary, distinguished service, the individual is expected to be associated with the College as a former employee, former student, former trustee or other individual who has made a significant service contribution to the College. It will be the general practice that a period of not less than three years will lapse between the end of the individual’s service to the College and consideration for a distinguished service naming recognition.
Nomination Procedure for Facilities Naming:
- Nomination – Recommendations for the naming of a Facility are to be submitted to the Office of Institutional Advancement using the Nomination for Facilities Naming form. Nominations submitted for consideration must be accompanied by supporting documentation to provide background on the nominee and his/her history, if any, with the College.
- Appointment of Committee – Upon determination by the President that review of the nomination would be in the best interest of the College, the Board chair will be notified and a Facilities Naming Committee will be appointed, as needed, to evaluate the nomination. The Facilities Naming Committee will consist of:
- Two members of the JCCC Board of Trustees (typically one member will be the chair of the Management Committee or the Board treasurer);
- Two directors and/or members of the JCCC Foundation Board;
- One member of the JCCC Faculty Association;
- One member of the JCCC Student Senate;
- One administrative employee; and
- Any other appointees deemed appropriate by President
- Informational Report Submitted to Committee – The Office of Institutional Advancement will provide a report to the Facilities Naming Committee on the risks and benefits associated with the potential naming of the Facility. This report should include:
- The perspectives of the College administration and other members of the community;
- Due diligence conducted, including any background or reference checks related to the nominee(s);
- Independent valuation and appraisals, if applicable, of any non-cash financial support in connection with the naming recognition (i.e. gifts, art, land, stock, etc.); and
- Information on the costs related to the implementation and maintenance of the Facility and signage, along with potential sources of funding to cover these costs.
- Evaluation of Nomination – The Facilities Naming Committee will review the report and meet to discuss the merits of the naming recognition opportunity. In addition to eligibility requirements set forth in the Policy and these Procedures, the Committee should carefully consider the credentials, character and reputation of the nominee(s) and the value to the College when compared to similar naming recognition arrangements.
- If the Committee intends to move forward with a recommendation, the nominee or his/her representative will be notified of the potential naming recognition and a written agreement or conditions statement will be prepared and negotiated by the Office of Institutional Advancement which will include the specific terms and conditions of the naming recognition.
- If the Committee decides not to move forward with the nomination, the process ends and the President will notify the Board of the Committee’s decision.
- Recommendation to the Board – If the Committee decides to move forward with the nomination, the recommendation will be submitted to the Board for consideration.
- Approval by the Board – A naming recognition will be considered approved upon an affirmative vote of no less than five members of the Board. The decision of the Board will constitute final action on the recommendation.
Publication of Naming Recognition:
No public communication of a proposed name will be made until the name is presented to the Board for consideration.
If agreed upon by the College and the donor, the amount of a donor’s gift may be maintained as a confidential matter between the donor and the College to the extent allowed by Kansas law.
As determined appropriate, the College will publish the names of the donors in College publications.
Signage used for the naming recognition shall be determined by the College.
Exceptions to this Operating Procedure may be approved by the President or his/her designees.
Signature on File in Policy Office
Revised: 06/17/2009; 08/18/2016