Skip to main content

There are multiple ways to file a student complaint at JCCC.

1. Complaints are typically best resolved when addressed early and directly with the individual/department with which the complaint is concerned. Students are encouraged to take the “ABC” approach of resolving the issue:

  1. Open a dialogue directly with the individual involved. If the student does not feel comfortable doing so or is unsatisfied with the outcome, he/she may move to B.
  2. Raise the concern at the next available level. If the matter remains unresolved, the student may move to C.
  3. Escalate the matter to the next highest level in the department.
For example, the ABC approach for a concern in the classroom might include starting at A with the faculty, moving to B with the department Chair and escalating to C with the Academic Dean. Alternatively, in some circumstances it may be appropriate to contact the Dean of Students or Human Resources during step B and/or C.

*Please note that this approach may not be appropriate in all situations, including circumstances involving an emergency, crisis or threat.

2. Students may file written complaints of any kind with the College online.

File a Complaint

Complaints submitted through this site will be reviewed and referred to the appropriate College department based on the type of the complaint.

3. If you know the type of complaint, you may skip the above step and submit your complaint directly to the appropriate College department by following the applicable complaint procedure, several of which are listed below.

Complaints about academic issues

Complaints about non-academic issues 

4. In addition to JCCC’s complaint processes, certain student complaints may be submitted to outside agencies as outlined below (this list is non-exhaustive and there may be other agencies that will receive and process complaints):

  • Consumer protection and/or fraud – Complaints may be filed with the Kansas Attorney General’s Office
  • Discrimination complaints – Complaints against the College or its employees may also be filed with the Kansas Human Rights Commission or the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights (OCR)
  • Complaints regarding State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) courses – May be filed by students enrolled in these courses with the Kansas Board of Regents office
  • JCCC accreditation eligibility – JCCC is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Complaints regarding the College’s ongoing eligibility to meet the Criteria of Accreditation may be filed following HLC Guidelines. Some academic programs may also have specific state or federal accrediting agencies that will review complaints (i.e. nursing, dentistry, cosmetology, etc.)

5. It is the goal of the College to process all complaints in a timely manner. Unless otherwise stated, in most instances, JCCC will conduct its initial review and acknowledge a complaint within seven business days of receiving the complaint. If more time is needed, the complainant will be notified.

6. JCCC is governed by a Board of Trustees who are responsible for ensuring lawful implementation of complaint procedures. If you believe that your complaint has not been addressed satisfactorily with the JCCC administration after exhausting all applicable College complaint procedures, you may contact the Board of Trustees by emailing the Board's administrative assistant. Please include your name, contact information, a specific statement of your issue and the desired outcome. The Board will respond to your communication within 45 days.

7. Questions about the complaint process or a pending complaint? Contact the Interim Dean of Students and Learner Engagement, 913-469-8500, ext. 3409.