Skip to main content

Financial aid is monetary assistance for the cost of attending college that comes from a source other than the student and their family. Scholarships, grants, loans and the Federal Work-Study Program are all considered to be types of financial aid.

STEP 1: Before You Apply for Aid
STEP 2: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Two students work to complete their FAFSA paperwork.

For the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you'll need:

  • Verified FSA ID. To learn more, check out the FAFSA FAQs page.
  • Tax information from a previous tax year
  • Records of untaxed income and information about current assets
  • Parents' tax information (if a dependent student)
  • JCCC's Title IV school code, which is 008244

It's free to apply! Need help with the FAFSA? JCCC offers free in-person assistance with the FAFSA during our office hours and during special events throughout the year.

Don't forget — you'll need to complete the FAFSA every year. The FAFSA priority deadline is March 15.

See frequently asked questions about the FAFSA

STEP 3: Apply for JCCC Scholarships

Before applying, you must have a current JCCC application for admission and a GPA on file from high school, JCCC or any other college you have attended. The FAFSA is not required, but encouraged to be considered for need-based scholarships. Completing your JCCC Scholarship Application will open you up, depending on your qualifications, to every scholarship listed in our database. 

Don’t forget to complete your JCCC Scholarship Application every year! We award throughout the year, so apply even if you miss the April 1 priority deadline.

Learn more about JCCC Scholarships

Log in and complete your scholarship application

STEP 4: Follow Up

After you apply, the federal processor will send you a copy of your FAFSA Submission Summary. If you do not receive your FAFSA Submission Summary within two to three weeks, contact Federal Student Aid.

Once we receive your FAFSA Submission Summary, you will receive an email delivered to your stumail account from our office outlining your next steps.

STEP 5: Check Your Status

Log in to MyJCCC 

You'll need your JCCC username and password.

  • Find the "My Financial Aid & Scholarships" card, then select "My Financial Aid" link. Student Requirements can be found on the Home page. Be sure you are in the correct aid year.
  • To check your satisfactory academic progress status, select the "Satisfactory Academic Progress" tab.
If you are selected for Federal Aid verification, there may be additional documentation required.

Once all requirements are complete, your account will be reviewed for packaging. New aid year packaging for the next fall begins in mid-April. Please continue to monitor your stumail account for notifications from our office.

For a detailed guide to the process, download the Financial Aid Process Checklist (PDF).

Transferring to JCCC

If you've received financial aid at another college and you are transferring to JCCC, you'll need to do the following:

  1. If you are receiving financial aid at another school for the current aid year, cancel all financial aid from that previous school. The school must notify us by email that your aid has been canceled.
  2. Make a correction to your FAFSA online to add the JCCC Title IV school code, which is 008244. If you are adding the JCCC school code online, you must have your FSA ID. 
  3. Check your requirements and your student email often to verify what other items are needed for your file. You will be sent another email when you are offered financial aid. 
  4. Notify your lender/loan holder — if you have already borrowed student loans — that you are transferring to JCCC.
  5. Contact the financial aid office at the school you are leaving to identify if anything else is required to close out your file.

Special Circumstances Appeal

If you or an immediate family member has unusual circumstances that affect your financial situation, you may qualify for a special circumstances appeal. Below are examples of these appeals.

  • Loss of income due to employment changes, separation or divorce, death, or unusually high medical or dental expenses
  • You’re a dependent student and your parent is attending college at least half time
  • Change in financial circumstances due to the COVID-19 pandemic
  • Significant changes in financial circumstances

Email the Financial Aid Office or call 913-469-3840 if you have experienced one or more of the circumstances listed above to discuss your options.