Skip to main content

Choosing a pass/fail grade option in the course (A, B, C, or D) to be recorded as a Pass "P" grade will not affect the student's GPA. However, a failing grade (F) will be recorded as an "F" and will negatively impact the GPA. Generally, students may choose a pass/fail grading option for one course per semester. 

Some schools, scholarship committees and honorary societies do not accept this grading system and may choose to convert the "P" grade or not accept the coursework. In addition, some degrees and prerequisites require a grade of "C" or better in certain courses. A "P" grade may not meet these requirements.

If you are considering the pass/fail option, schedule an appointment with a counselor to discuss whether this option is right for you. Counselor approval is required on the Optional Pass/Fail Grade Request form. Once the form is submitted, the course grade will be recorded as a "P" or an "F" on your official transcript and may not be changed back to a regular grade (A, B, C, or D).

If you are using VA education benefits, be aware that choosing the pass/fail grading option can cause you to have an overpayment that will be your responsibility to repay to the VA. Contact for more information.

The deadline for changing a class to the pass/fail grade option may be found in the "Drop Deadline Dates" available online for each semester.