Student Discrimination, Harassment or Retaliation Complaint Policy 319.05
Series: 300 Students
Section: Code of Conduct and Discipline
The Board of Trustees of Johnson County Community College is committed to providing a College environment free from harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Specifically, the College, its students and its employees shall not participate in any harassment, discrimination or retaliation as set forth in applicable College Policies. As such, no student shall engage in discrimination, harassment or retaliation toward another student or employee of the College.
Examples of prohibited conduct include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Sexual Misconduct as defined in the Sexual Misconduct Policy.
- Harassment or discrimination based on race, gender, national origin, disability, age, religion, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetics or any other legally protected class.
- Retaliation against any person for filing or providing information related to a complaint of prohibited conduct.
- Retaliation against any person engaging in otherwise protected activity.
Prohibited harassment or discrimination includes any unwelcome conduct or behavior of an inappropriate nature where:
- Submission to the conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of academic success or employment; or
- Submission to or rejection of the conduct is used, threatened, or suggested to be used as the basis for academic decisions or employment-related decisions; or
- Such conduct has the purpose or effect of substantially interfering with a student or employee’s performance or creating a hostile, intimidating or offensive educational or work environment.
Prohibited retaliation includes conduct which may have an adverse impact on the terms or conditions of the educational environment or employment, if such conduct (whether actual or threatened) is because of the individual’s filing of or participation in a complaint under this Policy, whether or not such complaint is determined to be valid.
Persons violating this Policy will face strict discipline up to and including suspension or expulsion.
Any person believing that he/she has been subject to prohibited harassment, discrimination or retaliation as set forth in this Policy may file a complaint as set forth in the Student Discrimination, Harassment or Retaliation Complaint Operating Procedure 319.05.
Revised: 08/18/2011, 08/13/2015