Student Disciplinary Action Policy 319.02
Series: 300 Students
Section: Code of Conduct and Discipline
Disciplinary actions may be imposed upon any student found to be in violation of the Student Code of Conduct or if it is determined that a student has not acted in the best interest of other students, employees, or the College as a whole. Such disciplinary actions shall include but are not limited to the actions stated in this Policy below. The College shall determine the appropriate disciplinary action(s) based on the type and severity of behavior or violation committed. It is not required for the College to follow the listed disciplinary actions in any order or sequence.
Types of Disciplinary Actions:
- Warning: A written or verbal notice to the student that his/her behavior is unacceptable, has violated the Student Code of Conduct and/or that any future violations will be subject to further disciplinary action.
- Probation: A period of time during which the privilege of continuing as a JCCC student is conditioned upon the student meeting certain requirements. The conditions may include, but are not limited to, loss of privileges to which a current student would otherwise be entitled, required assignments or actions by the student, and an acknowledgment by the student that any additional violations of the Student Code of Conduct may result in additional discipline.
- Suspension: Separation of the student from a class, a program, a College activity or event, or any College-owned, College-operated, or College-utilized facility for a definite period of time, after which the student is eligible to return. Conditions for readmission may be specified.
- Emergency Suspension: The vice president of Student Success & Engagement or his/her designee may immediately impose an emergency suspension in the event that a student’s continued presence in a class, program, activity or event, or on any College-owned, College-operated, or College-utilized facility poses a significant danger to themselves or others, and/or there is reasonable cause to believe that such an emergency suspension is required to protect lives or property or to ensure the maintenance of order.
- Expulsion: Permanent separation of the student from student status from a class, program, activity, event, or any college-owned, college-operated, or college-utilized facility.
Additional Sanctions: In addition to or in conjunction with the disciplinary actions listed above, the following non-exhaustive list of sanctions may be imposed by the College: mandatory training, hold on student records, academic or personal counseling, attendance at the Student Assistance Program (SAP), restitution and fines, required administrative meetings, medical certification/evaluation, execution of a behavioral agreement, modifications to the academic schedule, issuance of a no-contact order in relation to another individual, mandatory project or assignment (i.e. writing assignment), denial of privileges, ban from JCCC campus or activities and/or community service.
Procedures for Filing and Review of a Student Disciplinary Complaint
Complaints against a student for violating the Code of Conduct shall be filed and will be reviewed in accordance with the Student Disciplinary Action Operating Procedure.
Revised: 05/26/1993, 06/16/1994, 02/15/2001, 05/19/2005, 01/18/2007, 08/18/2011, 08/13/2015