Purchasing Exceptions to Competitive Solicitation Policy 215.04
Series: 200 Administrative Services
Section: Purchasing and Contracts
All items and services will normally be purchased in a manner that maximizes open and free competition utilizing a competitive bid, quotation, or RFP process except as hereinafter provided.
1. Sole source purchases that are available only from a single supplier including:
a. items for which competition is precluded because of the existence of patents or copyrights;
b. films, manuscripts, works of art, or books;
c. utility services including electricity, gas, or water;
d. items or services required to meet specific educational objectives; and
e. items or services that ensure compatibility with existing equipment.
2. Products or services that are offered for purchase under K.S.A. 75-3317 to 75-3322, and any amendments thereto, if the board desires to purchase any of said products or services therein described.
3. Articles or products that are produced, manufactured or provided by inmates under the prison-made goods act of Kansas if the board desired to purchase any of such products.
4. Materials, goods, or wares required for reconstructing, remodeling, repairing or equipping buildings when such purchase are necessitated by the occurrence of a loss against which the board has purchased property or casualty insurance.
5. Motor fuels required to provide or furnish transportation.
6. Emergency situations that necessitate the immediate purchase of goods or services may be made according to procedures outlined by the president. Such procedures may include the delegation of emergency purchasing procedures to appropriate college personnel.
7. Items that are acquired for resale.
8. Items that are used that become available and are subject to immediate sale.
9. Items that are acquired when the college is serving as a facilitating agent or trustee.
10. Items where negotiation would render a more favorable pricing and product condition for the college.
11. The president or the president's designee shall have the option to purchase at the unit or contract prices stated in current contracts and agreements such as those of the state of Kansas. G.S.A., Educational and Institutional Cooperative, Kansas City Regional Council of Higher Education (KCRCHE), or others established by purchasing cooperatives that are deemed to be in the college's best interest. The president or the president's designee shall also have the option to make purchases, not to include capital items $5,000 or more, from internal sources of supply when it is determined to be in the best interest of the college.
12. The college may contract for goods and services provided by state of Kansas agencies, or by federal agencies, political subdivisions of Kansas, agencies of other states or subdivisions thereof, or private nonprofit educational institutions.
13. Services of any kind.
14. The acquisition, construction or renovation of a project or projects that involve both services and products, such as a design-build structure or the acquisition, construction or reconstruction of software applications and/or hardware including network infrastructure.
Revised: 09/15/2005, 07/19/2012