Skip to main content

Any person from outside the country who wants to be a full-time student in the USA needs to obtain an F-1 (student visa) status.

Change of Status (COS): Inside the U.S.

To apply for a change of status to F-1 status in the United States, you must be officially accepted to JCCC and have obtained an I-20. You are required to submit certain documentation to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to apply for F-1 status in the U.S. The change-of-status processing time varies from several months to a year. Verify processing times on the USCIS website. IISS recommends consulting with an immigration attorney for COS eligibility (see American Immigration Lawyers Association). Notify IISS of any USCIS receipt, approval or denial notices once you have applied.

If your change of status in the U.S. to F-1 has been approved and you plan to travel outside of the U.S., you must apply for an F-1 visa to be able to come back to the U.S.

Travel while your application for change of status is pending will result in a denial from USCIS. Consult your immigration attorney before you travel outside the U.S.

Change of Status: Travel/Re-entry

To apply for a change of status to F-1 status by traveling outside of the U.S., you need to be officially accepted to JCCC and have obtained an I-20. Once the I-20 is obtained, you may depart the U.S. and attempt to apply for a U.S. visa stamp. If the visa stamp is approved, you may attempt to enter the U.S. in F status. Once entry is granted, you hold F-1 status.

Change of B-1/B-2 Visa Status to F-1 Status

B-1/B-2 status visa holders are not allowed to enroll in a program of study until they receive approval for change of status to F-1. It is recommended that B status holders wait 90 days after entry before engaging in the admission process at JCCC. You should not enter with a B-1/B-2 visa and plan to study in the U.S. immediately.

Change of J-1/J-2 Visa Status to F-1 Status

Anyone with a J-1/J-2 status who is “subject to a two-year residence requirement” is not eligible to apply for change of status to F-1 from inside the U.S. Consult with their program sponsor.

Required Steps to Be Admitted to JCCC and Receive Form I-20

Processing of your application and submitted materials will take a minimum of 5 business days from the date submitted.

You must submit an official TOEFL or IELTS score, unless you are from one of the following countries:

  • Commonwealth Caribbean (does not include the Dominican Republic, Haiti or the Dutch Isles)
  • English-speaking Canada
  • United Kingdom
  • Australia
  • South Africa
  • New Zealand
  • Republic of Ireland

You are required to meet the JCCC English language proficiency requirement as part of your admission to the College. This may be done in one of the following ways:

  • Submit unofficial transcripts from an accredited U.S. college or university documenting you have completed the equivalent of JCCC’s English 099 (Introduction to Writing) course or English 121 (Composition I) course with a grade of C or better. (Later you will be required to submit the official transcript to Admissions.)
  • Submit unofficial transcripts from an accredited U.S. college or university documenting the completion of a minimum of twelve (12) transferable credit hours of non-ESL courses with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher. (Later you will be required to submit the official transcript to Admissions.)
  • Submit an ACT English sub-score of 19 or higher.
  • Submit a minimum TOEFL score of 57 or an IELTS score of 5 which is less than two years old.
  • Take the Accuplacer test in the JCCC Testing Center and obtain a minimum score of 89.
  • If English is not your native language, but you’ve been educated (a minimum of three years) and graduated from an English-speaking country listed above, your language proficiency requirement will be waived.

Please be aware that your score on the TOEFL, IELTS or Accuplacer test will determine if you must take English for Academic Purposes (EAP) classes at JCCC prior to taking classes in your area of study. 

Entrance into:




Regular college credit classes

iBT 65 or higher

6 or higher

115 or higher

English for Academic Purposes (Level 4)
*one semester

iBT 61-64



English for Academic Purposes (Level 3)
*two semesters

iBT 57-60



You must show that you or your financial sponsor has the equivalent of $24,670 (USD) available to cover the cost for one academic year of study and living expenses, or $30,670 (USD) if you are applying for admission for the summer session.

A bank statement and/or a bank letter written on bank letterhead containing this minimum balance must be provided along with an English translation. These financial documents must be less than 6 months old and must include the name of the person funding your education, which is either you or a financial sponsor. Balances from equity portfolios in taxable accounts cannot be submitted to meet the financial requirements for the issuance of an I-20.

If you are processing a change of level I-20 to become a degree-seeking student (after finishing the EAP program) you will be required to verify updated financial documents.

Federal regulations and Johnson County Community College policy severely limit the types of financial assistance available to international students. College admissions policy requires that international students (those with F-1 and M-1 visas) have enough resources to meet their expenses. Students with these visas are not eligible for federal student aid. Scholarships are not generally available. Off-campus employment is not authorized. For these reasons, all F-1 students must provide proof of having sufficient monetary funds to cover the cost of their educational and living expenses while at JCCC.

Cost of Attendance:

Tuition $5,472
Books/Supplies $1,560 (estimated)
Housing/Meals $9,780 (estimated)
Personal Expenses $6,050 (estimated)
Accident/Illness Insurance $1,808 (estimated)
Total $24,670
*An extra $6,000 is added for estimated expenses if a student starts in the summer session

Optional: If housing and meals will be provided for you at no cost, you should also submit a Room and Board Sponsorship Form.

Along with the bank documents, you will also need to submit the Certificate of Finances formFor detailed information on financial requirements and sponsorship, review the information for acceptable proof of funds.

You will need to submit a secondary school completion diploma, certificate or any other document showing completion of your secondary school education (transcripts, leaving certificate, secondary exam score, etc.) and that you are eligible to advance to higher education in your home country. Documents must be translated to English and attached to the original document; the documents do not need to be translated by a professional translator.

You are required to send the IISS office a copy of your passport information page. This is required to ensure the name on your I-20 matches the name on your passport.

For any type of visa that is not eligible to study before change of status to F-1 approval:

You will need to complete some additional tasks to be able complete your enrollment:

  • Submit your change of status approval to IISS office
  • Math placement test
  • JCCC New Student Orientation
  • Meet with an academic counselor
  • TB Testing (depending on country of origin)
  • IISS New F-1 Student Orientation
  • Complete and submit Emergency Contact form
  • Complete and submit New F-1 Agreement form

Submitting Documents to IISS:

The fastest and preferred way for applicants to submit the required documents is through the IISS email:

Documents may also be mailed to:
JCCC International and Immigrant Student Services Office
12345 College Blvd., Box 30
Overland Park, KS 66210-1299 USA
Do not mail the IISS original copies of your documents.

Or faxed to: (913) 469-7681

F-2 Visa Holders:

If you plan to come to the U.S. with a dependent, please notify the IISS office as you will be required to submit documents for your dependents and add an additional $5,000 (USD) per dependent to your bank documents. F-2 visa holders may study but only part-time (no more than 11 credit hours per semester).

IISS follows College policy for the Student Code of Conduct and Discipline. Any student found in violation of our code of conduct or discipline may be reported the Dean’s Office to follow disciplinary procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, the submission of falsified documents for immigration purposes or academic history.