Skip to main content

Any B-1 visitors for business or B-2 visitors for pleasure cannot begin a course of study in the US. A change of status must be approved prior to engaging in any academic activities.

If your intent is to come the US to study, we recommend you obtain an F-1 visa prior to coming to the US or ask the consular official to notate prospective student on your B visa. 

Changing status from B visa status to F-1 may be possible, but is subject to additional scrutiny by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Depending on the expiry of your current B visa status, you may need to file an extension of status while concurrently applying to change to F-1 status.

If you are in B status and wish to study, do not fill out an application for admission to JCCC before speaking with an IISS advisor and an immigration lawyer about your options.

See information from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) about who can study in the U.S.