Skip to main content

Below is a brief summary of the health care benefits available for eligible JCCC part-time employees/adjunct faculty who work 30 or more hours per week.

The medical insurance options are made available through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City (BCBSKC). You are encouraged to contact the Office of Human Resources if you require more information about the options.

  • BCBS Member Guide
  • Health Care Benefits for Part-Time Employees
  • Health Benefit Summary for Part-Time Employees
  • Preferred-Care Blue Preferred Provider Option (PPO)
  • BlueSelect Plus - Preferred Provider Option (PPO)
  • A BlueSelect Plus provider directory is available at the BCBS website.

Contact Information

Visit the BCBS of KC website,, to view the status of claims, to access physician/provider directories, or to access A Healthier You™.

Mail order prescription information is available through OptumRX. You can also call or email BCBS of KC for additional assistance.

Email or call the Office of Human Resources at 913-469-8500, ext. 3877, for more information.


You can email the BCBSKC customer service department. Type "Johnson County Community College" in the subject line of your email.


You may also call BCBSKC customer service at 816-395-2270, or toll-free from outside of the Kansas City area at 1-800-654-0155.

If you're on hold for more than 60 seconds, you'll be given the option to leave a message in the message center.

Important Information

BCBSKC is committed to responding to members' questions within 24 hours as long as members provide the company with as much information as possible, including:

  • Employee name
  • Patient name (if same as employee name please indicate)
  • Employee certificate number
  • Details of the question including name of provider, date(s) of service and any other information pertinent to the question.
  • Please indicate how you would like BCBSKC to respond to your question by providing a phone number, a voicemail number or an email address.

Additional Phone Numbers

New Directions (Behavioral Health Benefits)

Qualified Status Change Information

Generally, you cannot change the pre-tax elections you have made for JCCC medical benefits after the beginning of the Benefit Plan Year (June 1-May 31).  However, there are certain limited situations when you can change your elections, if you have a “Qualified Status Change”.  Qualified Status Changes include:

  • Your marriage or divorce,
  • Your spouse’s or dependent’s death,
  • A change in your eligible dependent’s status,
  • Addition of a child through birth, adoption or placement for adoption,
  • A Qualified Medical Child Support Order that requires you to provide medical coverage for a child,
  • A change in employment status by you, your spouse or your dependent,
  • A change in work schedule, including a reduction or increase in hours of employment, by you, your spouse or your dependent including a switch between part-time and full-time, a strike or lockout, or commencement of, or return from, an unpaid leave of absence,
  • A change in the place of residence or work site by you, your spouse or your dependent,
  • You and/or your family member’s becoming eligible for Medicare or Medicaid (provided it causes you and/or your family member to lose coverage under the medical plan in which they are covered),
  • Your and/or your spouse’s or your dependent’s becoming entitled to COBRA, or
  • The taking of or return from a leave under the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993 or the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994.

If your spouse or your dependent child is eligible to make a change in their elections under the benefits plans sponsored by their employer during an open enrollment period, your spouse’s or dependent’s coverage under another plan changes, or the cost of coverage increases or decreases significantly, you may also change your elections. 

If you have a Qualified Status Change you need to complete and submit the attached Qualified Status Change Form and you must notify the Benefits Department within 30 days of that change.  Otherwise, you will have to wait until the next open enrollment period to make any changes.  Changes to your election will become effective the first of the month following your notification to the Benefits Department and the receipt of the appropriate supporting documentation.

During a Benefit Plan Year, you may only make a change in your elections if the change in election is consistent with a Qualified Status Change.  The college or its designee shall have the exclusive authority to determine if you are entitled to revoke an existing election as a result of a Qualified Status Change and such decision shall be final and binding.  Benefit election changes are consistent with a Qualified Status Change only if the college or its designee determines that the election changes are necessary or appropriate as a result of the Qualified Status Change and no change may reduce the contributions to be made for the full Benefit Plan Year to a level below the amount already paid for benefits during the Benefit Plan Year.

If you have questions regarding or need to report a Qualified Status Change, please contact:

  • Connie Brickner, Benefits Specialist, Ext. 4757: Last Names Starting with A-F
  • Lisa Gates, Benefits Specialist, Ext. 3619:         Last Names Starting with G-N   

Qualified Status Change Form – PDF