Skip to main content

Alternative Class Material Format Accommodations

Class materials can be converted into an alternative format based on your needs. You will need to work with your professors and Access Services.

Contact your professors and Access Services early to discuss your needs for alternative formats and acquire copies of class materials including textbooks, syllabuses, handouts and other materials that need to be formatted differently.

Alternate formats may include large print, Braille, and digital and audio formats.


If you need syllabuses, handouts or other classroom materials in Braille, meet with an Access advisor as soon as possible. Generally, textbooks are not converted to Braille but are provided in audio format when available. If you need to have a textbook converted to Braille, discuss this request with an Access advisor.

Large Print

You will need to purchase all of your textbooks that need to be enlarged and deliver them to Access Services early. They will be returned to you when the large-print text is complete. Some of the returned books will be spiral-bound. You will also need to ask your professors to forward syllabuses and class handouts that need to be enlarged to Access Services, or you may deliver copies to Access Services in person. You will need to allow five to seven days for the materials to be enlarged. Professors may sometimes choose to enlarge the classroom materials themselves. Contact Access Services if you are having difficulty contacting your professors.

Converting Your Own Class Materials

Access Services has assistive technology available if you wish to convert your own material to alternative formats. Contact Access Services for more information.