School Closings Due to Inclement (Winter) Weather
As winter weather approaches, you can find out if the college is closed because of the weather in one of these ways:
- The announcement will be posted on the home page of the college’s website, www.jccc.edu.
- You will receive a text message. (Unless you have taken steps to opt out of this service, students, faculty and staff are automatically signed up for emergency text messages.)
- The announcement will be posted on Twitter (you can follow the college at JCCCTweet) and on the college’s Facebook page.
- Call the main college number - 913-469-8500 - to hear a recorded message. (Please remember that lots of calls will be coming into the switchboard, so it is not necessary to talk with the operator to confirm the recorded message.)
- These TV stations have made arrangements to receive and announce closing notices: KMBC-TV 9, KSHB-TV 41, KCTV-TV 5, and WDAF-TV-4. Note that it can take awhile for an announcement to appear on television, so you are encouraged to use one of the other vehicles as your primary source of information.
- Several radio stations also receive and announce notices, including KCUR, KMBZ and KCMO. In addition, one station in Lawrence (KLZR) and Kansas Public Radio also communicate weather closings.
- If the decision to cancel classes is made during the day, the announcement will also be posted on the digital signs and sent to office computers. Faculty and staff will receive an email message.