Learn and know the emergency exits for your building(s). If you discover fire and/or smoke, pull the nearest fire alarm and promptly exit the building.
Immediately notify JCCC Campus Police Department at ext. 4111 or 913-469-2500, if you are at an off-campus location, dial 911.
If you hear or see an explosion, exit the area as safely as possible.
Whenever the fire alarms and/or sprinkler systems are activated, please follow these directions:
1. All occupants of the building must promptly and calmly evacuate using the nearest exit and report to the designated Emergency Assembly Area. See map for designated areas.
- Do not use elevators.
- Only if time permits take personal items (coats, purses, keys, etc.) with you, as you may not be allowed to return to the building.
- Be aware of others in your area (or those you are responsible for) and inform them to evacuate as well. Assist persons with disabilities.
- Follow directions given by emergency building personnel.
- In the event that you encounter smoke and/or fire while evacuating, exercise caution and logic to help ensure your safety and the safety of others. Remember, “Stay Low and Go!”
- Once gathered at the predetermined emergency assembly area, take a head count to ensure that all individuals are safely out of the building. In the event of an actual fire, the Fire Department and/or JCCC Campus Police Department will request this information. Report any persons remaining in the building perhaps with a mobility impairment.
2. Representatives from JCCC Campus Police Department will respond to the affected building to determine the location of the smoke/fire/explosion.
- The Fire Department is contacted for all fire alarms.
- If no source of smoke/fire is located, the occupants will be given an “all clear” to return to the building by JCCC Campus Police Department or the Overland Park Fire Department.
- Individuals needing evacuation assistance should establish procedures in advance with their instructor or supervisor. Access Services for Students with Disabilities (ext. 3521) and/or the office of Emergency Preparedness (ext. 7622) are available for consultation on these procedures.
- Do not return to the building until JCCC Campus Police Department or the Fire Department informs you that it is safe to do so.
- Do not use the elevator to evacuate the building during a fire, use the nearest stairwell to exit.
- Always evacuate the building anytime the fire alarm and/or sprinkler system is activated.
- Once an evacuation has started, do not stop the process until it is complete.