1. If you become trapped in an elevator, use the emergency telephone within the elevator car.
- Remain calm
- Activate the on-board emergency telephone, which notifies JCCC Campus Police OR call 913-469-2500 from a cell phone.
- Assist in keeping occupants calm and wait for help to arrive.
- Do not try to force open an elevator door.
- Do not crawl out of an elevator without assistance from authorized personnel.
2. If you are not inside the elevator but hear a problem or a person in need of help, please take the following actions:
Call ext. 4111 from a campus phone or call 913-469-2500 from a cell phone to notify the JCCC Campus Police Department.
Give the police dispatcher the following information:
- Name of building, your name and cell phone number (if applicable).
- Location within the building of malfunctioning elevator.
- Where the elevator car is stopped, if known.
- Whether a medical emergency exists.
Before you hang up, make sure the dispatcher has all the information they need.
Keep the occupants calm and wait for help to arrive.