Adult Basic Education
Literacy Volunteer Orientation
We're seeking new Johnson County Adult Education volunteers.
Volunteer tutors are needed to help adult students improve reading, writing and math skills; prepare for the GED test, or learn English as a second language. Volunteers tutor for two or three hours one morning or evening each week for a minimum of six months.
If you would like to attend a volunteer orientation session, visit the class search for a schedule of sessions and call 913-469-2323 to register.
You can learn basic reading, writing, math and everyday survival skills and prepare for the GED test through Adult Basic Education (ABE) classes.
- A program of study planned to meet your individual learning needs.
- Outreach classes located in community centers close to where you live.
- Small classes with friendly people who are also seeking basic skills to improve their lives.
- A teacher who is also your counselor.
- Volunteer tutors to give one-on-one attention.
The program is designed for adults 16 and older who are no longer in school. Remember, classes are small and you will receive individualized attention. Learn at your own pace; you will not be measured against others.
Instruction is free. You'll have to pay a $50 non-refundable material usage fee (payable by check or money order) at a required orientation.
Adult Basic Education is sponsored by Johnson County Community College and the Johnson County Library.