Placement Tests (COMPASS)
You may be required to take placement tests so the college can place you in classes at the appropriate skill level. These tests place you into English and math classes, as well as assess reading readiness skills.
Are placement tests required?
You may be required to participate in the placement process prior to enrolling in classes under the following circumstances:
- If you are degree- or certificate-seeking, you will be required to take the placement test, with the exception of a few vocational certificate programs that do not require math and/or English.
- If you wish to enroll in a math or English course at JCCC, regardless of whether you plan to seek a degree or certificate, you must take the placement test.
Please check your Personal Admission Plan for any required tests.
Substitutions for the Placement Tests
If you have successfully completed college courses equivalent to our math and English courses or if you have a qualifying ACT you may not need to take a placement test.
You may be exempt from some portions of this test
- If you have taken the ACT within the last five years and earned an ACT English sub score of 19 or higher, you are eligible for placement into Composition I.
- If you have taken the ACT within the last five years and earned an ACT reading sub score of 19 or higher, you are eligible to place out of reading courses.
- If you have taken the ACT within the last two years and earned an ACT math sub score of 25 or higher, you are eligible for placement into College Algebra.
- If you have taken the ACT within the last two years and earned an ACT math sub score of 28 or higher, you are eligible for placement into Calculus I or Business & Applied Calculus II (in addition to ACT scores, there are additional prerequisites for placement into Business & Applied Calculus II).
- Or, if you have completed a college-level composition and/or algebra course at another institution with a grade of "D" or better and those transcripts are on file in the admissions office.
Submitting your ACT scores
To find out the proper procedure to submit your qualifying ACT scores, call Testing Services at 913-469-4439 and select option 3.