The CoLab Spaces
In response to the evolving needs of the 21st century student and of our area workforce, JCCC created a modern center for collaboration and engagement.
This new space promotes collaborative, interdisciplinary learning in a technology-rich environment to support experiential education across the curriculum, and to connect with the greater community. It's yet another way we encourage an entrepreneurial spirit at JCCC.
When the project was conceived, we dramatically reimagined existing campus space as an open, inviting and inspirational facility featuring flexible, comfortable spaces in a high-tech environment.
The CoLab supports this active learning and focus on team-based projects in partnership with business, internships and practicums with local companies, and faculty-mentored experiences. It's a place for students to engage with emerging technologies such as makerspaces, robotics, and virtual reality.
Our renovation has dynamically transformed one of JCCC's oldest buildings, offering a highly visible, dynamic center where students, faculty, and members of the community work together to encourage the citizens and industry of tomorrow’s Johnson County.
With comfortable spaces and furniture that invite collaboration, The CoLab is neither a lounge nor a study hall for private work. The wireless and flexible computing environment is ideal for teaming and dreaming in all these spaces:
- Learning Studio
- Digital music classroom
- Recording studio and control room
- Computer classroom for technology instruction, including gaming and animation
- Motion capture studio for film production and animation
- Video conferencing facilities
- Studios for media production and small group projects
- Engaging presentation spaces for public meetings, lectures, workshops and talks by community and industry leaders
Our 2016 renovation demonstrated JCCC's commitment to sustainability and "green" construction and operation principles.
The Center is wide open, literally. Our southern entrance is all glass, and doors slide wide open to showcase the work happening inside. Our furniture is moveable to allow for multiple configurations, flexible enough to encourage "creative collisions," or entrepreneurial discussions that give rise to new ideas and solutions.
The CoLab is a place for faculty and students to experience with new educational technology that enhances collaboration and communication, including:
- ClickShare for wireless presentations
- iPad Air devices for check out
- Swivl robotic digital capture devices
- Oculus Rift virtual reality headsets
- Organic Motion markerless motion capture software