Thinking about changing your major or declaring an additional major? Follow the directions below to complete the process and get you on your way toward reaching your academic goals.
Submit a Change of Major Form
- If you are no longer pursuing your current major, it is important that you declare your new major by completing a Change of Major Form.
- You may also use this form to declare a second major.
- Use the Major Codes List to find the 4-digit code for your major.
- You will need this code to complete the Change of Major form.
Previously Non-Degree Seeking
- If you were previously non-degree seeking and are now declaring your intent to pursue a degree or certificate, you may be required to complete placement or assessment testing and submit transcripts from all colleges attended.
- If you have not already completed these requirements, a hold will be applied to your record until these requirements are completed.
Selective Admission Programs
- If you wish to pursue a major in a selective admission program, you must first apply for acceptance into the program. You cannot declare a selective admission major by completing a Change of Major form.
- Your major will be updated for you automatically if you are accepted into the selective admission program.
- Prior to being accepted into the program, you may declare your major to be Liberal Arts (Major Code #1000). This will allow you to pursue completion of prerequisites that may be needed prior to admission to the program.
Financial Aid Eligibility
To determine if you are in a financial aid eligible major, view the Major Codes List. Programs that are not eligible for federal financial aid are marked with an asterisk (*).
- Please note that to receive federal financial aid and most types of JCCC grants and scholarships, you must be pursuing a degree or certificate in a major that is aid eligible.
- Non-degree seeking students will not be eligible for federal financial aid.
- If you are transferring with the intention of obtaining a bachelor’s degree or higher, declare your major to be Liberal Arts (Major Code# 1000).
Catalog of Record
- Submitting a Change of Major Form will change your catalog of record, which may impact which courses you are required to complete.
- For information on how to determine your catalog of record for graduation, refer to Graduation Requirements.
- For assistance in determining how a change of major will affect your progress toward a degree or certificate, schedule an appointment to meet with a counselor in the Student Success Center before submitting a Change of Major form.