College-Level Examination Program
Earn college credit for what you already know. College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a series of examinations that allow you to earn college credit for knowledge gained through independent study, prior coursework, on-the-job training, professional development, cultural pursuits or internships.
The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is the most widely accepted credit-by-examination program in the country. All CLEP exams are computer-based. There are 35 90-120-minute exams representing courses typical of the first two years of college study. The College Board website offers a sample CLEP test "An Introduction to Taking CLEP on Computer".
If you are seeking credit from JCCC through the CLEP program, please consult a PLA advisor in Testing Services, 334 SC (913-469-2309), prior to taking the test, or see the CLEP test list.
Examinees requiring special accommodations will need to contact JCCC Testing Services (913-469-4439) prior to testing.
Prior to Test Day
You will need to create an account and register with CLEP. At this time you will select the test you are taking and pay the CLEP registration fee. Your registration ticket will be needed to test.
Test Day Procedures and Schedule
- CLEP testing is not offered at JCCC during the months of May, December or July.
- CLEP exams are offered at JCCC Testing Services, SC 334, at 8.30 a.m. on Wednesdays.
- In order to test, a current photo ID with the examinee's name and signature is required (acceptable IDs include a current driver's license, a current passport, or a current college or high school-issued student ID card with photo and signature).
- Testing policies and procedures are your guide to using the testing lab.
- CLEP testing fee of $80 per exam paid at the time of registration with CLEP.
- JCCC administrative fee of $25 per exam (by credit card - American Express, Discover, MasterCard, VISA - debit card or electronic check).
- An additional $10 fee for an optional essay (American Literature, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, English Literature, and College Composition Modular).