Skip to main content

If you are a student with a disability and need accommodations, Access Services can provide support to help you meet your educational goals.

Access Services values the diversity disability brings to the college campus. Access Services provides students with disabilities equal opportunity and access to college programs and services so all students can participate in the full college experience available at Johnson County Community College.

Some of the accommodations and services we offer include testing accommodations, note-taking assistance, sign language interpreting services, audiobooks/alternative text and assistive technology. All accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis during a meeting with an Access Services advisor.

Returning students may go directly to their myAccess account.

Requesting Assistance

To request accommodations or services:

  • Complete an application for services through myAccess.
  • Provide documentation of disability to Access Services.
    • Documentation requirements vary, depending on disability but may include a psychoeducational evaluation, Individual Education Plan (IEP), 504 Plan, Statement of diagnosis that includes current functional limitation of disability, Audiogram, and/or other relevant medical documents. 
    • Documentation may be emailed or uploaded into your myAccess account when you apply for support through Access Services.
    • Access Advisors will review your documentation and determine your eligibility for accommodations.
  • Make an appointment with an Access Services advisor to request and determine appropriate accommodations.
    • To schedule an appointment call 913-469-3521 or email Access Services.
    • Accommodations and services may vary from class to class and are determined on a case-by-case basis.
    • During this meeting, you will complete your specific requests for each class through your myAccess account and we will prepare accommodation letters for faculty (Faculty Notification Letters). Accommodations will not be in place until you complete your course-by-course request with an Access Advisor. For more information regarding this process, please contact Access Services.

Faculty Notification

After your accommodations are approved, Faculty Notification Letters will be scheduled for electronic delivery to professors before the start of the semester. The Faculty Notification Letters inform professors what accommodations will be used in their classrooms. Specific information regarding your disability is not shared.

You will need to:

  • Schedule an Individual Meeting with your professor to discuss your accommodation request in person, if desired. You may email your professor to request an individual appointment.
  • Inform Access Services of any concerns and/or schedule changes throughout the semester.

If you are having a problem with an accommodation, with course accessibility, or with any other academic or personal concern, please schedule an appointment with an Access advisor or the Deaf Services coordinator so we can discuss options and come up with a plan to help you resolve the problem.

Need to succeed? The Student Center has it all!