KSBDC Business Consulting Services
The Kansas Small Business Development Center at JCCC offers individualized, confidential, and comprehensive consulting at no charge to prospective and existing small business owners in Johnson, Miami, and Wyandotte counties in Kansas.
KSBDC staff consultants are skilled small business professionals who have either owned or managed a small business. The KSBDC also accesses a wide variety of independent outside consultants, JCCC faculty, and other business professionals to provide the information you need to make your business successful.
Begin with a start-up workshop.
To begin, consider taking a workshop on starting a business. The KSBDC start-up workshops include:
- Starting a Business: Success Right from the Workshop (6-9:30 p.m.)
- Starting a Business: Small Business Basics in a Day (8 a.m.-4 p.m.)
There are also eight- and 16- week business planning courses available during the fall and spring semesters at JCCC.
After you have completed a start-up workshop or have the beginnings of a business plan, you may set an appointment with one of the KSBDC's experienced small business consultants. There is no charge for this service. For more information or to set an appointment, email the KSBDC or call 913-469-3878.
Small Business Owners
KSBDC consultants assist small business owners in a variety of ways. The KSBDC works with existing business owners in many ways throughout the various stages of business including:
- Startup phase: Those first years in business
- Becoming established: Growth and expansion
- Innovation: Developing new products and strategies
- Identifying Opportunities: Mergers and acquisitions / selling your business
- Troubleshooting: Dealing with downturns
- Planning for the Future: Exit planning and retirement
The KSBDC can assist you in the primary areas of business including: financial, marketing, operations and human resources. There are also consultants available who specialize in social media and search engine optimization.
Tools that KSBDC consultants use to assist clients include:
- GrowthWheel – a tool for decision-making in start-up and growth companies.
- SBDCnet – Market Research
- ProfitCents – Financial Analysis
- RMA – Financial Analysis
- ProfitMastery – Understanding Your Financials /In-Depth Financial Analysis
Helping Existing Businesses
The KSBDC works with existing business owners throughout the various stages of business including:
- Startup during the first years in business
- Becoming established through growth and expansion
- Innovation in developing new products and market strategies
- Identifying opportunities such as mergers and acquisitions or selling your business
- Troubleshooting and dealing with downturns
- Planning for the future, including exit planning and retirement
The JCCC KSBDC can help you:
- Develop a business plan
- Analyze financial statements
- Develop cash flow projections
- Prepare for investor presentations
- Explore financing options and sources of capital
- Develop a sales process
- Understand your customer
- Develop a marketing plan
- Incorporate social media into your business
- Understand search engine optimization
- Analyze product cost and pricing
- Determine the feasibility of exporting
- Analyze inventory control procedures
- Buy or sell a business
- Determine the feasibility of government procurement
Please check out the Resources and Forms section for additional information that may be helpful to you.