Model U.N. earns awards at national conference
April 14, 2017
The Model United Nations team from Johnson County Community College received Outstanding Delegation award and Outstanding Position Paper Award for the International Atomic Energy Agency at the 2017 National Model United Nations conference for its representation of Denmark.
In addition, three JCCC team members were chosen by the conference for staff positions. They include
- Mark Rushkikh, (Overland Park, formerly Poltava, Ukraine) co-chair of General Assembly 2nd Committee
- Donald Roth (Prairie Village), co-chair of International Atomic Energy Agency
- Brittany Grindle (Overland Park), co-chair of the General Assembly 1st Committee
“The national conference was a great learning experience,” said participant Megan Deitz (Lawrence, Kansas), adding that she used “problem-solving, team-building and research skills.”
Also representing Denmark were these JCCC students:
- Hanan Boukhima (Overland Park, formerly Casablanca, Morocco)
- Edward Rosson (Lansing, Kansas)
- Cina Murray (Olathe)
- Allison Koelzer (Gardner, Kansas)
- Jon Michael Smith (Shawnee)
- Tania Teran Leon (Overland Park and Chihuahua, Mexico)
- Nicki Joy Karstens (Overland Park)
- Jarar Bangash (Overland Park)
- Paige Sato (Kansas City, Missouri)
- Jaycee Zeck (Gardner, Kansas)
- Andrea Pineda Lugo (Olathe and Valencia, Venezuela)
- Lacee Roe (Lawrence, Kansas)
- Caleigh Galloway (Louisburg, Kansas)
This latest conference builds on 13 years of success for JCCC, during which the team has received awards at each of the last 38 conferences it has attended.
The team advisor is Dr. Brian Wright, JCCC Professor of Political Science, of Overland Park. Wright is on the board of directors for International Relations Council Kansas City organization.
Co-advisor Aaron Swift is an assistant at the JCCC Center for Student Involvement.