Skip to main content

Advice for students considering a career in education.

JCCC offers an Associate of Science degree for those interested in careers related to teaching. Be sure to talk with a JCCC counselor about this degree and its transferability to a four-year school. In addition, be sure to review the four-year school transfer guides for the school you are interested in attending. The Career Development Center can also help you learn more about being a professional educator.

Early Childhood Education

  • With an Associate of Science (AS) degree in Early Childhood Education, your career opportunities could lead to becoming a director of a child care center, lead teacher in a preschool or early education program, a home child care provider or a staff member of an agency that advocates for young children.
  • To obtain your associate degree, you must complete four semesters of classroom study, as well as practice-teach at the Hiersteiner Child Development Center on campus or at a local Head Start program.
  • After you complete your degree, you will have the credentials to advance in most quality early childhood care and education settings.
  • In Kansas, an Early Childhood Education (ECE) center is licensed by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment based on space, the number of children attending, the educational levels of the employees and other factors. Visit the KDHE website for more information.
  • The JCCC Early Childhood Education AS degree does not transfer in its entirety to elementary education degrees, and it does not lead to licensure in Kansas for elementary education. Check with a JCCC counselor on what courses are needed to transfer to an elementary education program.

Elementary or Secondary Education

  • Visit the JCCC program transfer guides or make an appointment with a JCCC counselor to determine which classes will transfer to the school of your choice.
  • It is highly recommended to take EDUC 121 Intro to Teaching, as it is required at most schools and exposes you to school systems and classrooms.
  • Note that there is always a minimum GPA requirement for admission to a school of education.
  • Check with the school you plan to transfer to for pre-admission testing requirements.
  • Teacher licensure requires a criminal background check with the appropriate state agency.
  • Review the department of education requirements for the state in which you will be licensed for full licensure requirements. For Kansas, you can visit Kansas State Department of Education and for Missouri, visit the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.