JCCC Online Writing Lab (OWL)
JCCC Writing Center provides feedback to the writer without being on campus for any piece of writing at any stage of the writing process. The JCCC OWL is a great option for distance learners.
The JCCC Writing Center’s Online Writing Lab (OWL) uses GoogleDocs.
How to use Owl and GoogleDocs
REQUIREMENTSA Gmail account, access to the Internet for the duration of the tutoring session, and the presence of the author, are the only requirements. JCCC students’ stumail account functions as a Gmail account. Or you may use your private Gmail account if you wish.
The JCCC OWL staff wants to successfully aid writers, to improve and develop a writer’s abilities without crossing any academic protocols, either clear or perceived; therefore, our tutors will respect the following guidelines:
- Tutors will engage the author in a discussion about the writing through IM chat on GoogleDocs.
- Tutors will first respond to/discuss writer’s written concerns.
- Tutors will provide additional comments on logic, organization, mechanics if session time allows or is deemed necessary.
- Tutors will not make any additions, deletions, or any other changes to the writer’s text.
- Tutors may highlight one or two sentences and passages as examples that they feel are exceptionally well developed or need further development.
- Tutors will show writers how to self-correct lower order concerns such as mechanics and punctuation.
- Tutors will limit sessions to 30 minutes.
Important information for writers:
- Writers should submit no less than 48 hours in advance any specific concerns along with the uploaded document when scheduling an appointment.
- Writers need to be present (logged on and IM ready) during time of appointment.
- Please make appointments at least 2 days in advance--this saves time by allowing the tutor to read your paper before the session.
- Writers are encouraged to make follow up appointments after revising the draft.
IM messages will be on file in the Writing Center for the duration of the semester.
How to make a JCCC OWL appointment and submit your writing
- First, you will need to log into your Gmail account.
- If you are a current JCCC student, your school email (firstname.lastname@example.org) operates as a Gmail account.
- If you are not a JCCC student, signing up for a Gmail account is free and can be used to receive feedback through the OWL.
- Once you are signed in, please select one of the available 30 minute appointment slots on the Calendar.
- After having clicked on the desired appointment slot, click “Save.”*
- After having selected an available slot, please select “Drive” at the top of the Gmail screen which will take you to your "My Drive" page.
- Under the settings menu (cogwheel at top right of Google Drive screen), verify that “convert uploads into Google Docs format” is selected on the “upload settings” tab.
- Click the upload button to the far left of the drive window beside the “create” button, and select the document from your computer on which you want feedback.
- Once uploaded, right click the uploaded file's icon in your drive menu and select share from the menu.
- In the following box, type email@example.com into the “add people” box.
- Select the box beside “notify people via email” and select add message.
- In the message box, please state clearly (as best you can) your specific needs and concerns and the writing assignment. Keep in mind it is against academic policy for tutors to edit your paper.
- Click the “share & save” button, and select “done.”
- Five to 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment time, please log into your account and open the document. It must remain open for the duration of the tutoring session.
- When the tutor becomes available they will notify you through the IM feature in shared docs, causing a box at the top right corner of the document screen to highlight.
- Click the highlighted box to open up the chat window and begin your tutoring session.
Please send us an email, or call us if you have any trouble!
Contacting the OWL