Prior Learning Assessment Tests (PLA)
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is a program at JCCC that provides credit for knowledge acquired outside the traditional classroom. Students who demonstrate and/or document previous learning may be able to earn college credit. There is a required fee. Contact Prior Learning Assessment at 913-469-4439 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.
Catalog of Prior Learning Assessment - advanced standing credits may be awarded in subject fields where JCCC offers comparable courses or curricula. Courses offering PLA credit are identified with a check mark.
Converting Prior Learning to College Credit
Adults often obtain valuable skills and knowledge through working, doing volunteer work or their own independent study. Many adults coming to JCCC have taken classes in the Armed Services or at a vocational school. These different experiences may allow you to earn college credit. Assessments to obtain nontraditional credit might include:
- Portfolio evaluation - have your work experience portfolio evaluated for college credit.
- Certificate evaluation - present a certificate of successful completion of training.
- Proficiency exams - take a comprehensive exam to demonstrate a satisfactory level of achievement.
- CLEP - College Level Examination Program - exams representing courses typical of the first two years of college study.
- AP College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB-AP) - advanced placement exams for high school students.
- Armed Services experience evaluation - submit documentation for physical education credit.
You may earn a maximum of 30 hours of credit through nontraditional means. A fee may be required to apply for credit.
- All nontraditional credit that is earned is recorded on a student’s transcript after the completion of 6 hours of course work at JCCC.
- All earned credit will receive a grade of “P” for pass and will be designated as “Advanced Standing” credit.
- Nontraditional credit may be used toward a degree or certificate program at JCCC, but will not satisfy the residency requirement for graduation.
- Credit cannot be used to meet the enrollment requirement for government-funded financial aid programs or to meet resident credit requirements for graduation.
- Credit obtained at JCCC through PLA may not transfer to another college or university.
- You may not enroll in the class for which you are applying for advanced standing credit.
- Credit cannot be used to repeat classroom credit in which you have received a grade.
- You will not be awarded credit if you have received credit through other nontraditional programs representing the same content.
For more information about Prior Learning Assessment call 913-469-4439 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org