Skip to main content

Pre-Education Advice for Transferring

Advice for students considering a career in education.

JCCC offers two specific degrees and a certificate for those interested in careers related to teaching. Be sure to talk with a JCCC counselor about these degrees and their transferability to a four-year school. The career development center can also help you learn more about being a professional educator.

Elementary or Secondary Education

  • Consider factors such as the location of the school and the drive time, tuition and other costs, the length of the teacher education program, availability of day/night classes and the length of the professional semester or two semesters (the practice teaching mode).
  • Remember that the closest and cheapest program may not be right for you.
  • Next, check the JCCC program transfer guides or with a JCCC counselor to determine which classes will transfer to the school of your choice.
  • Start taking classes at JCCC, possibly including EDUC 121 Intro to Teaching, to create or rebuild your college GPA. Intro to Teaching may be required at some schools and exposes you to school systems and classrooms.
  • Generally, schools of education require a minimum GPA.
  • Take the Pre-Professional Skills Tests (PPST) early in your sophomore year so you'll have time to retest if necessary.
  • The PPST is for Kansas. The CBASE is for Missouri.
  • You'll have to go through the acceptance and admissions process at the school of your choice, and it's a good idea to get an adviser there.
  • The school of education requires investigation through the Kansas Bureau of Investigations, KBI which includes fingerprinting.

Early Childhood Education

  • The Early Childhood Education AS degree is great for early childhood center lead teachers and administrators.
  • You will need to be familiar with the term licensure. When a facility is referred to as being a licensed facility, it means that the center meets the requirements of the state health department.
  • A licensed teacher or licensed professional teacher has met requirements from the state department of K-12 education. The terms certified teacher and teaching certificate haven't been used since 2003.
  • In Kansas, an early childhood education (ECE) center is licensed by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment based on space, the number of children attending, the educational levels of the employees and other factors.
  • Employees may have a high school diploma, a CDA credential, a college vocational certificate, or a college associate's or university bachelor's degree.
  • Early childhood development includes children from birth to 8 years. The JCCC Early Childhood Education AS degree is well recognized and is beneficial for early childhood center lead teachers and administrators.
  • The degree transfers to two area universities for child development bachelors degrees, and many of the early childhood education courses transfer to Kansas State University's Bachelors of Science in Early Childhood Education degree.
  • The JCCC Early Childhood Education AS degree does not transfer in its entirety to any elementary education degree, and it does not lead to licensure in Kansas.