Why Should I Graduate - If I'm Going to Transfer?
There is a difference between “some college, but no degree” and an earned associate’s degree!
Graduation isn’t just a ceremony! When you apply to graduate and JCCC determines that you have met all the requirements for a degree at the end of the semester, your transcript shows that you have earned a degree by following a curriculum (plan), maintaining JCCC and cumulative GPAs of 2.0 or higher, and have been at JCCC for at least 15 of those credit hours. Completing a degree says something important about how you roll!
Other Advantages of Graduating Before Transferring
- Scholarship Opportunities - Some universities offer scholarships to transfer students who have earned their associate’s degree before transfer. People who make commitments and follow-through are a good investment!
- Requirements Met Sooner - Although completing the requirements for the university, degree, and major you plan to complete is important, some universities allow the earned associate’s degree to meet some of the liberal arts distribution requirements with less focus on specific courses.
- Academic Quality - Students who have earned their associate’s degrees generally do better academically after transfer to the university.
- Salary Compensation - Some employers reward earned degrees with salary adjustments – and many prefer applicants with degrees over those with “some college,” even when a degree is not required.
- Competitive Job Opportunities - Being able to find better jobs can make the next degree easier to attain (higher hourly wages leaving more time for study, tuition reimbursement, fewer worries and distractions) and can make you more competitive for internships important to your career.
- Degree Earned - Life can interfere with the best of plans – so having a degree already earned can be important if you experience delays (particularly those based upon financial considerations) in completing your next degree.
So - How Do I Graduate?
- Counseling and DegreeCheck - Meet with a counselor and go over your DegreeCheck to see what you need to finish – and make a plan to complete the requirements by the time you want to transfer. To make an appointment, call 913-469-3809.
- Reverse Transfer Options - If you are only a few credits or courses short of earning your degree at JCCC, but need to be at the university in the upcoming semester, consider reverse transfer options.
- Graduation Application - Apply to graduate by the deadline.
Do I Have to Go Through a Ceremony?
- No, but the graduation ceremony in the spring is a great way to celebrate your achievement with family and friends. We’d love to see you there!