Contact a Counselor
JCCC’s counselors are available to help you succeed as a student. They are ready to assist you with academic and career planning or provide personal counseling.
Appointments & Walk-Ins
Have a question or concern? Stop by and see us at the Success Center or call 913-469-3809 for more details.
Benefits of an appointment:
- Reduced wait time
- Connect with someone who is specialized in your area of study
- Help you plan more effectively
- More time to address concerns and questions
- Create an educational plan for a financial aid appeal
- Discuss career and/or major exploration
- Meet with a counselor that you’ve developed a relationship with
Benefits of walk-ins:
- Quick questions
- Issues that need to be resolved today
- Dealing with a personal or academic crisis
Before Meeting with a Counselor
We recommend that you have completed the following:
- Submit an application
- Attend a new student orientation
- Complete assessment tests (if needed)
- Request official records/transcripts/ACT scores to be sent to JCCC
Preparing for Your Visit
- To assist you in preparing for your appointment, please review the Student Preparation Checklist – PDF.
- Please arrive on time for your appointment. Be advised that if you are more than 15 minutes late from the scheduled start time of your appointment, and do not call to notify the Counseling Center of your late arrival, your appointment time may be forfeited.
- If you cannot attend your scheduled appointment, please call the Counseling Center at your earliest convenience to cancel or reschedule. This will allow us to assist other students who may be waiting.
Quick Question Counselor
The Quick Question Counselor is available any time the Success Center is open. It is located on the second floor of the Student Center.
You can ask a counselor general questions by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If possible, please send the email from your JCCC email address.
- Use the subject line to describe your content.
- Protect your personal information by using the body of the email to include your full name and JCCC ID number.
- Provide the details necessary to answer your question.
- Please allow 1-2 business days for a response.
- If your question is more immediate in nature, consider contacting a counselor via instant messaging.
Instant Message Advising
If you have a general question, IM a counselor through Instant Message (IM) Advising.
Consider the following tips when contacting a counselor using IM:
- IM hours are generally from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, but availability may vary depending upon the traffic in the Success Center.
- If a counselor is not available using IM, please consider sending an email.
- Due to the unsecure nature of IM, the IM counselor is not permitted to discuss student account information. If you have questions of this nature, please consider sending an email instead.
How to Use the IM Box
- Enter your username. This can be your true name or an alias.
- Type your question into the dialog box.
- Wait for the counselor to respond.
- If your message is not being answered during our available hours, please refresh your page and try again.
- Ask a follow-up question if necessary.
- Let the IM counselor know when your question has been answered or if you need to end the session.
If your question requires more attention, the IM counselor may provide contact information to follow up with you directly by email or phone.