What is Polysomnography/Sleep Technology?
Polysomnographic technologists assist physicians in performing sleep diagnostics that are required for diagnosis of sleep disorders.
The technologist simultaneously monitors:
- EEG (electroencephalography—brain waves)
- EOG (electro-occulography—eye movement)
- EMG (electromyography)
- ECG (electrocardiography—heart rhythm)
- Multiple breathing variables
- Blood oxygen and carbon dioxide levels
(Permission granted by SleepMed, Inc., Columbia, SC, to provide links to the video tours of a sleep study and a CPAP set up.)