Admission Criteria - Respiratory Care
The application for admission will be academically evaluated after the October 15 (or February 15) deadline provided that all required documents have been received. The following criteria will be used to determine the final ranking and selection:
- An overall college grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or greater. An overall college GPA of 2.5 or greater is preferred with additional consideration given to these candidates.
- A minimum grade of "C" in all prerequisite courses is required. Prerequisite course may only be repeated once to achieve the minimum grade of "C". A prerequisite college GPA of 2.8 or greater is preferred with additional consideration given to these candidates.
- Be able to reasonably complete all prerequisites by June. A course plan that reasonably allows for all prerequisite work to be completed by June is required. The prerequisite course work does not need to be completed at the time of application.
- Additional consideration is given to the currency of the course work, demonstration of ability to successfully complete a semester of 9 hours or more, and courses successfully completed beyond the minimal requirements. Special consideration is also given to candidates who have completed a degree, with previous health care experience and/or transferring course work from another respiratory care program.
Actively Learn About the Profession
- All candidates should contact program personnel prior to the application process to discuss the nature and expectations of program and professional activities.
- Candidates should investigate observational experiences in hospital respiratory care departments. A list of suggested sites for observations is available from the program office.
- Another source of information is the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC), especially the Career Section.
- Results of your research about the field will be reflected in the interview questionnaire (DOC). The selection committee will look at the accuracy and completeness of your questionnaire.