Johnson County Community College
College Information and Publications
Julie Haas, associate vice president, marketing communications, ext. 3120
Diane Carroll, writer/editor/media relations, ext. 3425
Tyler Cundith, sports information director, ext. 3122
May graduation ceremonies are scheduled at JCCC
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. – Johnson County Community College is breaking precedent by scheduling two commencement ceremonies for college graduates – the first at 4 p.m. and the second at 7:30 p.m. on May 16. Both ceremonies will be held in the Gymnasium on the college campus.
Students who have earned an associate of applied science degree or a certificate will graduate at 4 p.m. Students who have earned an associate of arts, an associate of science or an associate of general studies degree will receive their diplomas at 7:30 p.m.
When last year’s single commencement ceremony filled the gym and sent another 1,000 people to an overflow room, college officials decided to double the number of ceremonies in an effort to accommodate everyone who wished to attend.
The speakers will be Jerry Cook, chair of the JCCC board of trustees, and Elliot Rogers, president of the Student Senate.
The GED graduation is at 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 13, in the JCCC Gymnasium. Dr. Joe Sopcich, JCCC president, will be the speaker.
Other graduations are scheduled throughout the week:
- Practical nursing graduation, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 13, Polsky Theatre
- Respiratory care ceremony, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 14, Polsky Theatre
- Registered nurse pinning/graduation, 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 14, Yardley Hall
- Honors graduation, 7 p.m. Thursday, May 15, Craig Community Auditorium
- Dental hygiene pinning ceremony, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, May 15, Polsky Theatre
- Polysomnography recognition ceremony, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, May 15, Capitol Federal Conference Center, RC 101
- Cosmetology graduation, 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 20, Capitol Federal Conference Center, RC 101
For more information about commencement exercises, contact the Student Welcome Desk at 913-469-3807.