Student Discrimination, Harassment or Retaliation Complaint - 319.05
Johnson County Community College
Series 300: Students
Section 319: Academic Policies
The Board of Trustees of the Johnson County Community College is committed to providing a college environment free from harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Specifically, the college, its students and its employees shall not participate in any harassment, discrimination or retaliation based on any protected class of individuals as covered by college policies.
As such, no student shall engage in discrimination, harassment or retaliation toward another student; no one shall engage in discrimination of an instructor or staff member of the college.
Examples of prohibited conduct include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Sexual harassment, defined to include unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal, physical or visual unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature.
- Harassment or discrimination defined to include verbal, physical or other conduct of a nature which is offensive to a person based on legally protected classes such as race, color, gender (sex), age, religion, marital status, national origin, disability, and veteran’s status, and sexual orientation or other factors which cannot be lawfully protected.
- Retaliation against any person for filing a charge or complaint of prohibited conduct.
- Retaliation against the respondent in a charge or complaint of prohibited conduct.
Prohibited harassment or discrimination includes any conduct or behavior of an inappropriate nature where:
- Submission to the conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of academic success; or
- Submission to or rejection of the conduct by an individual is used, threatened, or suggested to be used as the basis for academic decisions; or
- Such conduct has the purpose or effect of substantially interfering with an instructor, student or staff member’s performance or creating a hostile, intimidating or offensive atmosphere.
Persons violating this policy will face strict discipline up to and including suspension or expulsion.
Any person believing that he or she has been subject to prohibited harassment, discrimination or retaliation as set forth in this policy shall file a complaint utilizing Operating Procedure 319.05-Discrimination, Harassment or Retaliation Complaint.
Date of Adoption: 3/25/10