Operating Procedure 217.05 - Naming of College Facilities
Johnson County Community College
Series 200: Administrative Services
Section 217: Facilities
Board Policy: Naming of College Facilities for Individuals- 217.05
The following procedures are established in accordance with College Policy 217.05-Naming of College Facilities. These procedures serve as a guideline for Johnson County Community College Trustees, the college president, and college staff, volunteers and outside advisors who assist the college in the solicitation of gifts. The president may, at his discretion, determine exceptions to these guidelines on a case-by-case basis when deemed appropriate.
Eligibility Criteria for Naming Tributes
- Naming in Recognition of Financial Support
For naming recognition of financial gifts or other items of economic value, the donor will be expected to provide all or a substantial part of the cost of the facility to be named. A “substantial part” shall be defined as a contribution that is a significant majority of the cost (51% or more) or a contribution which, while not being a significant majority, would not have been available from another source or was in some way integral to project completion or project excellence.
- Naming in Recognition of Distinguished Service
From time to time, the college may want to honor an individual associated with Johnson County Community College for his/her extraordinary, distinguished service. Such an honor may be considered for a former, retired or deceased faculty or staff member, JCCC graduates, former students or other individuals who have made significant contribution to the college including trustees and community members. It shall be the general practice that a period of not less than three years shall lapse between the end of the individual’s service to the college and consideration for a distinguished service naming opportunity.
General Provisions for Naming in Recognition of Financial Support
All naming opportunities granted in exchange for financial gifts or other item(s) of economic value shall be subject to appropriate review and approval of the nomination as submitted to the college on the Nomination For Facilities Naming form and in accordance with the procedures set forth below under Nomination Procedure for Facilities Naming.
A written agreement for each ‘Naming in Recognition of Financial Support’ shall be negotiated by the JCCC Office of Institutional Advancement and subject to review by college counsel. All specific terms and conditions relating to the naming opportunity will be included in this written agreement. Individuals negotiating on behalf of the college shall be responsible for advising potential donors and benefactors that their gift may be recognized by naming, subject to approvals and decisions consistent with these guidelines and applicable college policy. The president shall submit any such written agreement negotiated for a ‘Naming in Recognition of Financial Support’ to the Board of Trustees for their review prior to the Board’s consideration of a naming recommendation.
Donations of non-cash gifts, such as art, in-kind gifts, land, stock, or any other non-cash items shall be subject to verification through independent appraisal and valuation as determined appropriate by the college. The college shall retain the absolute right to obtain independent appraisals and/or valuations of such gifts to determine the fair market value of the non-cash donations or contributions.
A naming conferred in recognition of a pledge shall be contingent upon fulfillment of that pledge. The written agreement for such pledge shall specify the terms and conditions of the pledge, including but not limited to, the plan for fulfilling the pledge and the determination by the college president as to the timeline for placing the name on the facility.
The college shall generally require a minimum of twenty percent (20%) of the total pledge at the signing of the written agreement with a schedule for the balance of payment(s) to be stated in the written agreement. Limited exceptions to this may be made for deferred gifts, trusts, and similar donations. The college reserves the absolute right to rescind a naming if at any time the pledge is determined by the college to be fully or partially unfulfilled, subject to any terms included in the written agreement for that pledge. Should the college rescind a naming opportunity due to an unfulfilled pledge, the college shall be under no obligation to return any portion of the pledge already paid to the college by the donor.
General Provisions for Naming in Recognition of Distinguished Service
All naming opportunities granted individuals for extraordinary, distinguished service shall be subject to appropriate review and approval of the nomination as submitted to the college on the Nomination For Facilities Naming form and in accordance with the procedures set forth below under Nomination Procedure for Facilities Naming. Such review shall take into account, as appropriate, the support of the college faculty and staff as well as the support of the college community.
A written conditions statement shall be prepared by the college for each ‘Naming in Recognition of Distinguished Service’ that shall include all the terms and conditions of the naming approval. The president shall submit any such written conditions statement prepared for a ‘Naming in Recognition of Distinguished Service’ to the Board of Trustees for their review prior to the Board’s consideration of a naming recommendation.
Other General Provisions for Naming Recognition
In establishing objectives for a fundraising campaign, the Office of Institutional Advancement, as the fundraising arm of Johnson County Community College, in consultation with the college president and the JCCC Foundation Executive Board, will establish a schedule of naming opportunities and the level of donation required for each. The Office of Institutional Advancement will ensure that gift levels are appropriate and consistent with others on campus.
For naming opportunities of existing facilities arising outside of a fundraising campaign, the Office of Institutional Advancement, in consultation with the college president, will be permitted to assign values and formulate an appropriate level of donor contribution consistent with comparable naming opportunities on campus.
As provided by College Policy 217.05-Naming of College Facilities, when a college facility has been named by the Board of Trustees, it is the college’s intent to continue to use the name so long as the facility remains in use and serves its original function, or as otherwise may be provided for in the written agreement between the parties and as subject to Kansas statutes that exist now or may exist in the future.
When the use has changed such that the named facility must be demolished, substantially renovated or rebuilt, the college may retain the use of the name, name another comparable facility, or discontinue the use of the name. Such decision shall be made by the Board of Trustees in accordance with the provisions of College Policy 217.05.
When provisions as specified in a) the written agreement between the parties for a financial support naming or b) in the written conditions statement for a distinguished service naming allow for a name on a named facility to be changed or removed, such decision shall be made by the Board of Trustees in accordance with the provisions of College Policy 217.05.
The credentials, character and reputation of each individual, organization or corporation for whom the naming of a facility is being considered shall be carefully scrutinized and evaluated. The college president or designee shall require that a background or verification check be conducted on any donor or naming nominee, whether living or deceased. The results of such background or verification check shall be considered as part of the decision making process for the naming of a facility.
Once the appropriate reviews are completed on any donor or naming nominee, it shall be the responsibility of the college president to forward a naming recommendation to the Board of Trustees. Such recommendation from the college president to the Board of Trustees shall constitute the president’s strong, unqualified endorsement of the naming nominee. The Board may decline to consider any naming recommendation that it determines does not meet this criteria.
No public communication of a proposed name shall be made until the name is presented to the Board of Trustees for consideration by the college president.
Recognition of Donor
The specific amount of a donor’s proposed gift may be maintained as a confidential matter between the donor and the college to the extent allowed by Kansas law; however, the college may wish to publicly announce a gift in the interest of encouraging other prospective donors to make similar commitments. Such gift announcements will be made only after securing permission of the donor and offering the donor an opportunity to review the announcement.
As determined appropriate, the college will list the names of the donors in appropriate college publications. The college will consider other opportunities for special recognition of donors on a case-by-case basis.
Signage used to recognize a donor shall be determined by the college and be consistent with all other college signage in use at that location and/or consistent with similar signage used throughout the campus.
Nomination Procedure for Facilities Naming
- Recommendations for the naming of a facility are to be submitted to the Office of Institutional Advancement using the Nomination For Facilities Naming form. Nominations submitted for consideration must be accompanied by supporting documentation to provide background on the nominee and his/her history, if any, with Johnson County Community College.
- An eight member Facilities Naming Committee, appointed bi-annually by the college president, will evaluate the nominations. The Facilities Naming Committee will consist of:
• two members of the JCCC Board of Trustees (typically one member will be the chair of the Management Committee or the Board treasurer);
• two directors and/or members of the JCCC Foundation Board;
• one member of the JCCC Faculty Association;
• one member of the JCCC Student Senate;
• one member of the college’s Office Professional’s League; and
• one administrative appointee of the college president
- The Office of Institutional Advancement will provide a report to the Facilities Naming Committee on the risks and benefits associated with the potential naming of the facility. This report will include the perspectives of the college president, executive vice presidents, vice presidents, and other relevant parties, as well as information on the costs related to the implementation and maintenance of the signage, and potential sources of funding to cover these costs.
- The Facilities Naming Committee will be provided a review period of not less than thirty (30) calendar days from the mailing date of the report for members to review the information provided prior to taking action on the recommendation.
- If the naming nomination is approved by the Facilities Naming Committee, the form shall be endorsed by the college President and one of the JCCC Board of Trustees members or by the college President and the two JCCC Foundation Board representatives serving on the Facilities Naming Committee. The committee’s recommendation for the naming of a facility will then be submitted to the JCCC Board of Trustees by the president for consideration by the Board at a regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Trustees.
- A naming opportunity will be considered approved upon a vote of no less than five members of the Board. The decision of the Board of Trustees will constitute final action on this recommendation.
Signature on File in Policy Office 6/17/09
Terry A. Calaway