Prohibition of Discrimination, Harassment or Retaliation - 420.01
Johnson County Community College
Series 400: Personnel
Section 420: Discrimination, Harassment or Retaliation
Operating Procedure: 420.01 - Discrimination, Harassment or Retaliation Complaint
The Board of Trustees of the Johnson County Community College is committed to providing a working environment free from harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Specifically, the college and its employees shall not participate in any harassment, discrimination or retaliation based on any legally protected class of individuals as described in the Non-Discrimination Policy (Policy Number 411.01).
Examples of prohibited conduct include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Sexual harassment, defined to include unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal, physical or visual unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature.
- Harassment or discrimination based on race, gender, national origin, or other legally protected class, defined to include verbal, physical or other conduct of a nature which is offensive to a person.
- Retaliation against any person for filing a charge or complaint of prohibited conduct.
- Retaliation against the respondent.
Prohibited harassment or discrimination includes any conduct or behavior of an inappropriate nature where:
- Submission to the conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of employment; or
- Submission to or rejection of the conduct is used, threatened or suggested to be used as a basis of employment-related decisions, including but not limited to promotion, pay, discipline, work assignments or which affects other terms and conditions of employment; or
- Such conduct has the purpose or effect of substantially interfering with the work performance, or creating a hostile, intimidating or offensive atmosphere.
Persons violating this policy will face strict discipline up to and including termination.
Any person believing that he or she has been subject to prohibited harassment, discrimination or retaliation as set forth in this policy shall utilize the Discrimination, Harassment or Retaliation Complaint Procedure as set forth in Policy 420.01.
Date of Adoption:
Revised: 5/15/97, 3/15/07