Golden in the kitchen
JCCC student chefs won gold and silver medals at the American Culinary Federation Central Region Conference held April 14-16 in Detroit.
The culinary team won a gold medal in competition against eight state teams. All eight teams prepared the same Auguste Escoffier recipes. Several teams of judges assessed the students on interpretation of the recipes, knife and kitchen skills and adherence to the recipes as well as the taste and presentation of the meal.
“What they did in the kitchen mattered as much as what they produced,” said Ona Ashley, director, hospitality management.
The JCCC team’s menu was:
Fillet of Dover sole with scallop and lobster mousse
Fennel flan, sautéed arugula and spinach, tomato jam
Array of petite greens in roasted corn dressing
Poached sweetbread in cucumber gelee with dill
Grapeseed oil-verjus vinaigrette
Roasted golden beets and burrata
Supreme de Volaille a l’Ecarlate
Butter-poached chicken breast, larded with pickled ox tongue
Chicken quenelle on crouton, sauce supreme
Braised Brussels sprouts in cippolini onion, apple and kohlrabi gratinee
Tourne potatoes and batonnet of honey-thyme glazed carrots
Molded chocolate mousse with a hint of espresso
Vanilla ice cream in chocolate cup with feuilletine disc
Macerated orange segments
JCCC culinary team members, and their apprentice sites, are:
- Sophie Buell, Kansas City, Kan., Indian Hills Country Club
- Adam Glass, Overland Park, Dean & DeLuca
- Delci Reimer, Kansas City, Mo., Indian Hills Country Club
- Ian Denney, Kansas City, Mo., Raphael Hotel
- Sophia Elmer, Olathe, Green Acres Pastry Shop
- Sally Wilson, Lake Quivira, Sheraton Hotel Crown Center
The knowledge bowl team won a silver medal in competition against nine teams. The quiz-bowl style competition covered all aspects of culinary knowledge.
JCCC knowledge bowl team members, and their apprentice sites, are:
- Steve Copeland, Kansas City, Mo., Café Sebastian
- Blaise Truesdell, Overland Park, Leawood South Country Club
- Jeff Ward, Lawrence, Marisco’s
- Tim Hu, Olathe, Brookridge Country Club
- James Rundle, Kansas City, Mo., Hallbrook Country Club
Edward Adel, Lee’s Summit, assistant professor, hospitality management, won the Galbani Mozzarella Caprese Challenge, a recipe and cooking competition held during the regional gathering. He will compete at the national competition this summer.