These events range from performing arts events hosted by our office, to rental clients needing space for high school graduations or arts education shows for area schools. Events range in size, time of day and fluctuate in frequency throughout the year.
- Volunteers must be confident on stairs and able to read small ticket print in dim lighting.
- Volunteers are responsible for assisting large crowds in case of emergency evacuation of the hall.
- Remain on duty and alert for the entire event and are not always guaranteed to see a show/event in its entirety. Volunteers are responsible for the needs of the patrons assigned to their area. All volunteers stay after the event to help clean up.
- Work at least four events during each sign-up period (summers are optional).
- Attend BOTH a Vol*Star information session AND complete a new volunteer training. Because volunteers invest so much time and energy with us, we feel it is only fair to reciprocate with training and knowledge that allows you to be knowledgeable of our performing arts venues, our procedures and the standards of our organization. We want you to be at ease when volunteering at the Carlsen Center.
Currently scheduled information sessions; please mark your calendar:
- Monday, July 13, 7 p.m., Carlsen Center 128
- Wednesday, July 22, 6 p.m., Carlsen Center 128
Currently scheduled new volunteer training:
- Saturday, September 26, 4-10 p.m. - training to include working an event that evening
How to Volunteer With Us
- Complete your online application.
- Once you complete your online application, you will receive an automatically-generated email confirming your "applicant" status.
- After you complete training, new volunteers will shadow a current volunteer until you feel comfortable and understand the information on your own. For more information, email Christina Wright, Performing Arts events manager, or call her at 913-469-8500, ext. 3674.
Event Sign-Up Form
- Vol*Star's Volunteer Manual - Updated June 2014 (PDF)