You're Invited - Johnson County Arts Volunteer Fair
Learn more about volunteering for one of Johnson County's arts organizations during this open house.
Tuesday, April 26, 2016
JCCC Carlsen Center Lobby
Free and Open to the Public
Sponsored by The Arts Council of Johnson County and the Johnson County Community College Performing Arts Series
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Johnson County Community College. The Vol*Star program is a committed group of 200 local community members that donate their time and energy to serve as ushers, ticket takers and coat room clerks for more than 200 events each year in our performing arts spaces located inside the Carlsen Center on the JCCC campus.
These events range from performing arts events hosted by our office, to rental clients needing space for high school graduations or arts education shows for area schools. Events range in size, time of day and fluctuate in frequency throughout the year.
- Volunteers must be confident on stairs and able to read small ticket print in dim lighting.
- Volunteers are responsible for assisting large crowds in case of emergency evacuation of the hall.
- Remain on duty and alert for the entire event and are not always guaranteed to see a show/event in its entirety. Volunteers are responsible for the needs of the patrons assigned to their area. All volunteers stay after the event to help clean up.
- Work at least four events during each sign-up period (summers are optional).
- Attend BOTH a Vol*Star information session AND complete a new volunteer training. Because volunteers invest so much time and energy with us, we feel it is only fair to reciprocate with training and knowledge that allows you to be knowledgeable of our performing arts venues, our procedures and the standards of our organization. We want you to be at ease when volunteering at the Carlsen Center.
We currently do not have a training scheduled. Prospective volunteers should submit their online application and we will notify you when a training is scheduled.
How to Volunteer With Us
- Complete your online application.
- Once you complete your online application, you will receive an automatically-generated email confirming your "applicant" status.
- After you complete training, new volunteers will shadow a current volunteer until you feel comfortable and understand the information on your own. For more information, email Christina Wright, Performing Arts events manager, or call her at 913-469-8500, ext. 3674.
Event Sign-Up Form
- Vol*Star's Volunteer Manual - Updated September 2015 (PDF)