Performing Arts Series Arts Education
A Community Resource for Arts Education
Performing Arts Series (PAS) Arts Education offers programs for all ages that engage, explore and inspire! These include daytime performances for schools and community, interactive workshops, master classes and offsite artist visits with world-class performers.
Nurture lifelong learning, imagination and develop critical thinking. Make reservations for multiple programs or call 913-469-8500, ext. 4221, for more information.
Student/School Matinees in Yardley Hall
Call 913-469-4445 to purchase $5 tickets.
Connect students with curriculum standards with these hour-long performances. Enhance the live performance experience with online study guides.
- Dinosaur Petting Zoo | June 7 – 8
- Johnny Appleseed – A Theatre IV Grand Production | Oct. 2 | 9:45 a.m. and Noon
- Let’s Go Science Show | Nov. 20 | 9:45 a.m. (K-3) and Noon (gr. 4-8)
- The Ugly Duckling and The Tortoise and the Hare | Feb. 6, 2014 | 9:45 a.m. and Noon
- Diavolo, Transit Space | April 25, 2014 | Noon
Education Paired with the Performing Arts Series
Bring professional, world-class artists to your site for performances, master classes and/or workshops for students and adults – then see them perform in Yardley Hall.
To arrange these activities, email Angel Mercier, Arts Education program director, or call her at 913-469-8500 ext. 4221.
Public performance tickets, 913-469-4445 or Buy Online (no online fees!)
- Miami String Quartet | Chamber music clinics, July 30 | Public performance, 7 p.m., Wed., July 31
- Nelson Escalante, internationally-known artist | Workshops - Part of Hispanic Heritage Month | Sept. 15 – 30
- Omar Faruk Tekbilek, Turkish composer and musician | Workshops - Part of Caravanserai, supported by the Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art | Thurs., Sept. 26
- Bach Aria Soloists, Zarabande, Music from the Spanish Baroque and Beyond | Lecture demonstration, Oct. 10 | Public performance, 8 p.m., Fri, Oct. 11
- Orchester Jakobsplatz München | Conductor’s Talk, 2 p.m., Sun., Oct. 20 | Public performance, 7 p.m. Sun., Oct. 20
- Shanghai Ballet, The Butterfly Lovers | Open Rehearsal, Time TBA, Thurs., Nov. 7 | Public performance, 7:30 p.m., Thurs., Nov. 7
- Wild Kingdom with Peter Gros | Public performance, 7 p.m., Sun., Nov. 10
- Beyond Glory with Stephen Lang | Classroom discussion, 3 p.m., Fri., Nov. 15 | Public performance, 8 p.m., Fri., Nov. 15
- Jazz Winterlude | Clinics for high-school jazz bands, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Fri., Jan. 24 | Performances Fri eve, Jan. 24 plus all day Sat., Jan. 25, 2014
- Ballet Memphis, Wizard of Oz | Master class with advanced ballet dancers, Jan. 31 | Public performances, 8 p.m., Jan 31 and Feb. 1, 2014
Professional Development for Teachers
To arrange these activities, email Angel Mercier, Arts Education program director, or call her at 913-469-8500, ext. 4221.
- Owen/Cox Dance Group – Modern Dance for Physical Educators | Fri., Sept. 6
- The American Place Theatre – Training through Innovative Drama-in-Education Strategies | April 1-2, 2014
Festivals and Special Programs 2013-2014
For more information, email Angel Mercier, Arts Education program director, or call her at 913-469-8500, ext. 4221.
- New Dance Partners, Dance Festival | Sept. 27 – 28
- Hispanic Heritage Month | Sept. 15 – Oct. 15
- Jazz Winterlude Festival | Jan. 24 & 25, 2014
Summer Institute for the Arts
June 10-13 | 9 a.m. to Noon and 1 to 4 p.m. | Tuition $175 per session
Four-day introduction to small ensemble playing for string students grades 4 thru 8. Participants will be placed in groups of three to five students for instruction.
Ability to play a two-octave scale and read basic rhythms required. No audition necessary.
Visit Heartland Chamber Music Academy for details.
Heartland Chamber Music Festival | Ages 12 to 26 | July 26 – Aug. 3 | 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. daily plus evening activities | Tuition $700 | Late fees apply
Heartland Chamber Music Junior Festival | Ages 15 and under | July 27 – Aug. 1 | Noon to 4:30 p.m. | Late fees apply
Audition required, visit Heartland Chamber Music Academy for details.
Thanks to BNSF Railway, Francis Family Foundation, Victor and Caroline Schutte Foundation, Bank of America and Yellow Corporation.