ASL-English Interpreter Preparation Selective Admission Application Procedure
- Complete the JCCC application and the Steps for Enroll to Credit Classes
- Complete the ASL-English Interpreter Preparation Program selective admission application form. The information/application packet contains complete information about the process and It’s important to read the information/application packet carefully. The Packet of AEIP Information and Application is being updated for Fall 2015. The materials will be ready in October.
- Review the enrollment checklist to make sure each step is completed.
- Once you've applied, you will be notified if/when your application is complete. Complete means all transcripts and ACT results are received, and all application materials are completed.
- We will schedule an interview (usually sometime in March). Interviews are meant to assess such skills as fluency in English and ASL, basic cognitive processing skills, interpersonal skills, maturity, professional behavior, and basic awareness of interpreting and critical thinking. Applicants should be prepared to demonstrate their ASL competency (both comprehension and production) during the interview.
- After the interview, usually in May, you will be notified by certified mail whether you have been accepted into the program. Final selections will be based upon a competitive process which ranks the applicants interviewed and reflects the consensus of the interview committee.
Note: Should more than 24 applicants qualify there will be a waiting list.
Accept/Decline Your Place in the Program
All applicants offered a position in the Interpreter Training Program will be notified by certified mail. To acknowledge acceptance/decline of position you must must return the Intention to Accept/Decline form (mailed with the acceptance letter), along with a $125 tuition deposit, within 10 days from the receipt of the acceptance letter. The $125 will be applied to the first semester's tuition. This deposit will be refunded only if written notification is submitted to Admissions prior to June 10, 2011. The form is to be returned even if the applicant has decided to decline the position. This permits the next person on the waiting list to be moved into the vacated slot in a timely manner.