Technology Security Tips - Miscellaneous
Students and employees are required to comply with all laws and college policies and procedures governing the use of intellectual property. Read more online.
- Use and maintain anti-virus software, a firewall and anti-spyware.
- Keep software, particularly your Web browser, up to date. Install software patches so attackers cannot take advantage of known issues.
- Do business with reputable and established vendors.
- Be wary of emails requesting information to confirm purchases or account information, legitimate businesses will not solicit this type of information through email.
- Check privacy policies before providing personal information. Make sure you understand how your information will be stored and used.
Make sure your information is being encrypted. Indications that your information will be encrypted include a URL that begins with "https:" instead of "http:" and a lock icon in the bottom right corner of the window.
- Use a credit card in lieu of a debit card. Credit cards may have a limit on the amount you are responsible for paying if your information is stolen and used by someone else.
- Use a credit card with a low credit line for all your online purchases.
- Check your credit card and bank statements for accuracy. If there is a discrepancy, report it immediately.