If you want to work your abdominal muscles, try this routine.
This workout was designed for use in the fitness center after you have had a proper warm-up and completed the circuit.
Start with the first exercise and switch to the second exercise after 30 seconds.
If you are at home and want to do this workout you will not have the signal to switch. Try to do 20 to 25 repetitions and then switch to the next exercise.
Do not pull chin to chest. This is an AB workout and shouldn't strain your neck. Do these exercises in a slow and controlled manner.
Begin the first exercise when the light goes on then switch to the next exercise (after 30 seconds) thereafter.
- Crunches: Press toes or heels into floor as you lift your shoulder blades off the mat. If you're advanced, lift your pelvis at the same moment for your rectus abdominals.
- Rotation for Obliques: Reach with your left hand to the outside of your right knee. Keep your waist on the floor. Switch to the opposite side.
- Hip Lifts: With your knees bent and feet off floor, cross your ankles, keep your knees out, relax your upper body and do hip lifts. Don't do a rocking motion.
- Crunches: Do crunches in the same position. If you're advanced, lift your hips at the same time.
- With your legs straight up and your hands on your knees, slide your hands along your shins to your ankles and lift your shoulders off the mat. If you're advanced, lift your hips at the same time you crunch up.
- With your right knee in and your left shoulder toward the knee, crunch and rotate at the same time, then extend your leg out straight and repeat. Switch sides.
- Lateral Flexion: With your feet flat, move your feet away from your hips and reach toward your right heel then your left heel. You will feel as if you are doing a side bend.
- Crunches: With your feet flat, finish with crunches but do them quicker.
Way to go! Remember to stretch and to work on your back muscles as well. The Cybex machine is great.
Also realize that you need to incorporate aerobic activity with good nutrition to see the effects of the ab workout under your body fat.
If the above ab routine is still not enough do a 12-minute routine, repeating the steps above.