Financial Aid Eligibility Requirements

To Be Considered for Financial Aid:

Ability to Benefit

You must demonstrate that you are both qualified to enroll in and have the ability to benefit from a post-secondary education. The ability to benefit requirement (ABLBNF) can be satisfied one of the following ways:

  • If you have graduated from a U.S. high school, have a copy of your OFFICIAL high school transcript sent to the JCCC admissions office. We are not able to accept U.S. transcripts that are faxed or hand carried.
  • If you have a GED, have a copy of your OFFICIAL GED certificate sent to our JCCC admissions office. This may not be faxed or hand carried.
  • If you have graduated from a foreign high school, bring in a copy of your ORIGINAL OFFICIAL high school transcript to our financial aid office.
  • If you have attended another college and satisfactorily earned 6 hours of college credit prior to the fall 2012 semester, have your OFFICIAL transcript sent to our admissions office. You must provide OFFICIAL transcripts of all prior colleges you have attended, regardless of hours completed. This includes transcripts from post-secondary institutions outside the U.S. We are not able to accept U.S. transcripts that are faxed or hand carried.
  • If you have an academic transcript showing that you have successfully completed at least a two-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s degree please contact our financial aid office.
  • If you did not graduate from high school or obtain a GED but if you have enrolled or attended an eligible program at a Title IV institution prior to July 1, 2012 please come to our office and speak with a financial aid advisor. There may be other options to satisfy this requirement in those cases.

Degree Seeking

You must be enrolled in a qualifying program that leads to an associate's degree or an eligible vocational certificate (PDF) or be in a transfer program that leads to a bachelor's degree at another institution.

Credit Hours

You must be attending a minimum of half-time number of credit hours a semester to be eligible for loans.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

You must meet satisfactory academic progress standards set by the post-secondary school you are or will be attending.

Basic Requirements

You must meet basic requirements as stipulated by the federal government.

For more information regarding basic legal requirements such as citizenship, selective service status, loan defaults, incarceration or illegal drug conviction refer to the section titled, "Basic Eligibility Criteria," on the Federal Student Aid website.

What If I am Transferring to JCCC?

Refer to transferring for additional information.

Already Have a Bachelor's Degree?

If you already have a bachelor's degree, you won't be eligible for the Pell Grant, but you may be eligible for other types of federal aid.

Attending Two Schools at the Same Time?

You can only get financial aid at one school at a time during the same semester. If you plan to attend more than one school, you will need to contact the financial aid office to discuss the possibility of a consortium agreement. Contact our JCCC financial aid office.

Financial Aid Repeat Coursework Process

JCCC will count toward enrollment status and award Title IV funds to a student who is repeating, for the first time only, a previously passed class for which they were previously paid Title IV aid. We will also pay Title IV funds once for a failed class that they were previously paid Title IV aid. If a student withdraws before completing the course that they are being paid Title IV funds for retaking, then that is not counted as their one allowed retake for the course. Withdrawing from a class will affect their Satisfactory Academic Progress however.

If a student previously took a course and did not get paid Title IV aid the first or second time they took the course and they are NOW taking it again and wish to receive Title IV aid for it, they will need to self-identify. A student must self-identify, the situation will be researched, and the system will be overridden in order to pay for the repeated course if it is eligible per our policy. Refer to our board policy regarding grading for a repeated class.

Authority to Evaluate the Eligibility Process

The Department of Education gives the director of the financial aid office at Johnson County Community College the authority to override this process at any time.  

Steps to Enroll for Credit Classes

Contact Financial Aid

JCCC Financial Aid Office

Email, Office Hours, Location

Financial Aid Announcements

Financial Aid Dates - Refer to the semester below for:

  • Book advances
  • JCCC book scholarships
  • Financial aid refunds

Spring 2015

Academic Dates - See the academic calendar for enrollment, holidays, graduation and other general student information.

Paying for College

Paying for College: Managing Your Money

AccessReady is a free service to help you plan for college.

We want to hear from you.

Facebook  Linkedin  Twitter  YouTube RSS Feed 

e3 Sustainable Office

Sunflower with eight filled petals