Are you ready to hit the road as a confident, safe driver?
JCCC offers several course options to meet the needs of busy families. Our face-to-face classes provide the benefit of structured class time with the instructor; sessions are offered weekly or as a one-day Saturday class. For a more flexible alternative we also offer an online course. Instruction includes:
- Up to six behind-the-wheel driving lessons
- Flexible drive times
- Kansas and Missouri students will receive a certificate of completion
Driving lessons are competency-based and include:
- Residential Driving: Left/right turns, controlled/uncontrolled intersections, U-turns, backing
- City Driving: Turning from left lane/right lane, lane changes, following distance, traffic lights, roundabouts, etc.
- Highway/Expressway: Entering/exiting a highway, driving on the highway
- Parking/Turnabouts: Angle parking, perpendicular parking, two- and three-point turns
The JCCC Advantage
- Students will have the same state-certified instructor for all classroom and behind-the-wheel training. We have male and female instructors available.
- New sessions start every few weeks. No drive-time wait lists! Most students complete the classroom and behind-the-wheel training in under six weeks.
- Do you have a confident child or an anxious child? We customize the behind-the-wheel lessons based on the student's experience by offering several class formats to ensure student success.
- JCCC is one of two institutions in the state of Kansas that train and certify driver education Instructors. Have your children learn from the experts.
- JCCC offers driver training beyond just driver education. Check out our defensive driving, behind-the-wheel and basic car care classes.
What you need to know
- Students must be at least 14 years old. It is recommended that a student have an instructional permit prior to class, but it is NOT necessary.
- We recommend that students experience behind-the-wheel driving with a parent/adult prior to the first driving lesson. Students should be able to start and stop a vehicle and make left- and right-hand turns in a residential setting.
- For more information, see our frequently asked questions.
- This program and the instructors are licensed by the state of Kansas.
Why should my student take a Driver Education course?
The primary benefits of participating in a driver education program include:
- Instruction over the law manual, emergency situations, vehicle maintenance, vehicle controls, planning a trip, operating a vehicle on the roadways, parking, how to obtain a license or permit and the responsibilities of owning a vehicle.
- 4 to 6 lessons behind-the-wheel with a certified instructor based on student's ability to pass the competencies for each lesson.
- Some insurance companies give a discount to students/families that have completed a driver education program.
- In order to apply for and receive a Restricted Permit at age 15, the student must have successfully completed and passed a driver education program (classroom and drive time).
Interested in becoming a driver education instructor?
Good driving skills save lives and must be taught by qualified, certified professionals. JCCC is authorized by the state of Kansas to offer the Drivers Education Endorsement Certification that all driver education instructors in Kansas are required by law to complete before teaching.