Attendance Criteria for CLEAR Students
Individuals interested in enrolling in CLEAR (College Learning Experiences, Activities and Resources) will need to be interviewed and meet certain criteria.
All students must meet the following attendance criteria. Prospective students must schedule a new student interview. For an application and an interview, call the CLEAR office at 913-469-8500, ext. 3247.
CLEAR Program Attendance Criteria
A prospective student must be a Kansas resident and will be expected to meet the following criteria:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Capable of changing classes independently.
- Able to communicate with others verbally, through sign language or other communication device.
- Able to follow instructions.
- Able to participate in small group activities.
- Able to sit through a one-hour class without assistance.
- Able to attend to a specific task independently for a minimum 10-minute period.
- Free from behavior that would be disruptive or inappropriate in a classroom.
- Able to transport and take medications independently.
- Does not require extensive supervision for acute or chronic medical conditions, such as special diets or seizures.
- Free of physical or verbal aggression for the past two years.
- Free of sexually aggressive or inappropriate behavior for the past two years.
- Able to maintain personal self-care and hygiene independently.
- No history in the past two years of leaving a pre-arranged area without verbal acknowledgment of the change to staff or a family member.
Expansion Classes Criteria
CLEAR weekday expansion classes are open to young adults with mild intellectual disabilities and a personal desire to continue their education in a post-secondary environment, but who may not be successful in college-level credit classes.
To attend the Expansion classes students must:
- Be 18 to 24 years old
- Read at the end-of-year second grade level
- Meet the CLEAR attendance criteria
The expansion classes are a select admission program and enrollment is limited. Students must be motivated to attend and will be asked why it is that they wish to take classes on a college campus.