JCCC Golden Girls Dance Team Auditions for 2017-18 Academic Year
Auditions for the 2017-18 season are tentatively scheduled for Saturday, May 20. Check back for updates and details.
|Dance Team Audition Attire|
Thank you for expressing interest in the Johnson County Community College Golden Girls Dance Team. This year's auditions will be held in the Carlsen Center Lobby.
A map of the campus can be found at www.jccc.edu/maps
Before auditions, please send the following:
- Audition Application (PDF)
- A letter of recommendation from a current or recent coach, dance instructor, etc.
- A Short essay entitled Why I Want to be a Golden Girl
- Recent photo, preferably in uniform (will not be returned)
- Hold Harmless Agreement (PDF)
NOTE: You also must complete and submit an Application to JCCC before auditions.
Please send all materials to:
Johnson County Community College
Attn: Coach Amy Sellers
12345 College Blvd.
Overland Park, KS 66210
Email Coach Sellers (if emailing, please send all materials together)
The Audition schedule is as follows: (Times are approximate from 8:45 a.m.)
8:00 a.m. - Registration
8:30 a.m. - Meeting
8:45 a.m. - Clinic begins, routines are taught
11:00 a.m. - Round 1 Auditions in front of judging panel begin (Routines)
1:00 p.m. - Round 2 Auditions in front of judging panel begin (Sideline, Cheer, Technique)
2:30 p.m. - Round 3 Auditions in front of judging panel begin (Individual Interviews)
- We are looking for: versatility, the ability to perform many dance styles - jazz, hip-hop, cheer/pom, high-kick, etc.
- The ability to learn routines quickly. Must use proper technique (formal dance training helpful).
- Must be a performer!
- Positive role models to represent JCCC
Auditions will consist of:
- Two short dance combinations, which may include up to three dance styles: Pom, Jazz, and Hip-Hop.
- A short "cheer" and/or sideline routine: looking at pom motions, game day energy
- Leap Combination: any 1-2 eight count combination/sequence across the floor. You will come up with this on your own and demonstrate individually. Music will be provided. Turn Combination: any 1-2 eight count combination/sequence center floor. You will come up with this on your own and demonstrate individually. Music will be provided.
- Interviews - personal questions about you to get to know you better. No trivia or trick questions will be asked.
We will teach the dances and cheer at Auditions
Recommended Skills (these may or may not be in the choreographed routines):
- High kicks (left & right), Splits (left & right), Toe Touch, Leg Grabs
- Leap Combinations: such as Split, Center, Switch Center, Switch Leaps, Calypso, etc.
- Pirouette Combinations: such as Double, Triple, and/or Quad Turns (both left and right), Turns in Second (both left and right), Leg Grab Turns, etc.
Black hot shorts, tights to match skin tone, any color fitted sports bra or crop dance top, and dance shoes or athletic shoes. No pants or capris please. Hair should be down and glamorous. Please wear Performance/Game Day make-up. Earring studs are fine, but all other piercings should be removed. Please also cover any visible tattoos. Look "Game Day" ready!
- Closed to all spectators, but the audition may be video-taped for judging purposes only.
- Cuts may be made after each round, depending on the number of candidates in attendance.
- Results will be announced following auditions.
Golden Girl positions are considered a 1-year position. Each Golden Girl must re-audition each year. We will choose a 12 member performance squad with the possibility of 2 alternate positions. Alternates have the same expectations as all other team members, and must be ready to perform with minimal notice.
Performances throughout the year include, but are not limited to:
- JCCC Campus Kickoff Event
- Basketball sideline and cheers for all home women's and men's games
- Halftime performances for all home women's and men's basketball games
- Prep rallies
- Junior/Senior visit days
- JCCC Campus Craze Event
- Assigned events
- Community events
- NDA Camp in late summer
- NDA Nationals in April
Golden Girl uniforms, primary warm-ups, and bags will be provided throughout the year.
Golden Girls must purchase:
- Shoes - 1 pair: color and design designated by Coach - Required
- Team earrings, hose, tights, other designated under garments.- Required
- Dance pants and/or shorts: style and design designated by Coach - Required
- Alternative warm-up/apparel: camp-wear, t-shirt, sweat pants and jacket, sling bag, and an other extra items the team decides to purchase. Some of these items are additional and not mandatory. (Fundraisers will be provided to help purchase new uniforms, camp expenses and national competition expenses. All members must participate in all fundraisers)
Any Golden Girl who does not perform in a professional manner and/or does not represent the position, team, and college in a positive light will be removed from the position on a temporary or permanent basis as the situation dictates.
Golden Girls must maintain a professional appearance in costume, hair and make-up to remain congruent with others. Hair should remain in natural colors throughout the year. Tattoos cannot be visible during any performance or event, and all extra piercings will be removed.
All correspondence and communication must be initiated by the candidate /Golden Girl and not another family member.
All Golden Girls will attend all practices (including NDA Camp & summer practices) and performances. All Golden Girls will be required to attend summer camp (late summer) and 3 of the 4 summer weekend practices. It is a time when members learn new routines, work on technique and become as one, a "TEAM". Any exception to this requirement will have to be approved by the Golden Girls Coach in advance.
During the school year, Golden Girls hold practice every day, Monday to Friday, 8-10 a.m. Team members work with a Counselor to work out any class conflicts with practice times.
Results/Announcement of Team
Results of auditions will be e-mailed out to all candidates, one-to-two days following auditions.
The first team meeting for those selected will be held Thursday, June 1, from 6-9 p.m. This meeting is mandatory.
Summer practices are tentatively scheduled on Tuesday evenings from 6-9 p.m., as well three to four weekend practices throughout the summer.
Scholarship positions may not be announced until after camp at end summer.
We look forward to your attendance at the auditions, and wish you the best of luck.
All those interested in trying out for the Golden Girls Dance Team are encouraged to tryout in person at the annual May audition. Private in-person or video auditions may be accepted with prior approval for those with conflicts or travel restraints. A private audition can be scheduled by email or phone. Video auditions must be solo or individual routines only.
*All those participants selected for the final team are required to meet with the team’s academic counselor to enroll in fall classes, and sign a contract with the JCCC Dance Team before formal placement is awarded.