VA Education Payments
If you are a student receiving veteran education benefits, the VA will determine your payment rate based on the type of benefit for which you are eligible and how many hours in which you are enrolled.
The basic payment rates are listed on the VA website. These are basic rates of pay for MGIB, REAP and Dependents Education Assistance and do not include kickers, buy-up or any other additional programs.
Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® you may receive:
- A tuition and fees payment (paid directly to the school) not to exceed the in-state cost of the educational institution. Please note that JCCC is not a Yellow Ribbon school and the student is responsible for the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition costs.
- A monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. This amount is based on the ZIP code of the location of the school you are attending. You can determine the BAH for your ZIP code online.
- An annual book stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment.
The only benefit that pays tuition directly to the school is the Post 9/11 GI Bill®. You can get more information online about benefit comparisons.
It can take the VA several weeks to process your initial application and anywhere from six to 10 weeks to process enrollment certifications.
Generally, VA education benefit payments are made at the end of each month you attend school. For example, if classes start in August and your claim has been completely processed by the VA, the payment for that month will normally be received in the first 10 days of September.
Financial Aid Shopping Sheet
You will be able to see a list of information regarding the use of your JCCC education benefits online. The following instructions will help you review your personalized list.
- log into MyJCCC
- select the My Financial Aid tab
- select the Shopping Sheet link